Greeting from Fly Over Country

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quitcamels4mbe

Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Greetings, my name Jim, and I live in SE Iowa, Fly Over Country. Personally I hope they keep flying over and don't stop and crowd the neighborhood. I f everyone knew how nice it is here they would come like the end of "Field of Dreams".

Did my first smoking back in the early 80's and didn't know squat, but some how things turned out edible. Haven't smoked much until recently when I decided to get a MES and play with my food.

Tried a few things like Chix hind quarters and Hard Boiled Eggs and they were okay so now with spring in the air it is time to Burn some Hickory.

I started today with a whole yardbird. In basic 1,1,1 brine w/Black Peppercorns, Thyme and Sage for 2 days.  Separated breast skin from muscle and rubbed w/  Parsley, Sage, Italian Seasoning and Thyme (Dried Herbs) under skin.  Rubbed down outside of bird w/ some duck fat and then dry rubbed w/ Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Chipotle Pepper, Paprika and Pink Salt.

Ready for smoker

275 degrees for 3 hours with 2 hits of Shag Bark Hickory, (plentiful here) and the wings fell off when I took it out of the pan I smoke in. I'll strain the jus and have some wicked soup base I hope.

Add a nice salad and a sixpack of Bent River Steamboat IPA and sorry Mr Costner  but this IS Heaven.

9 pound Boston Butt in brine bucket as I type, any suggestions folks? I love all parts pig, but have not smoked any yet.

Thanks for the board and so much info in one place, hope my efforts prove worthy.

Sunshine and temps in the 40's, spring is here!!

Welcome to the board, and nice work! I don't have any hickory on hand now, I've been playing with windfall maple for the better part of a year.

Welcome aboard Jim.  You had me slobbering just reading about the chicken.  Then I saw your finished pic. 
icon14.gif

Looking good sir.  Best luck with the brined butt.

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a windy and chilly day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome to your new addiction (the forums) ... bird looks good enough to eat.... I have a question though about your rub... you mentioned "pink salt".... could you elaborate on that a little more ? you don't mean cure #1.. do ya ??

It is Himalayan Pink Salt, not a curing salt. Fancy foo foo stuff, I know, but Kosher is a little coarser than I want in a rub. The bird ate like butta'. I threw the giblets (which I brined w/ the bird) in the smoker after I pulled the bird and ran them at 225 for 2 hours. The liver was better than any Rumaki I have ever had. I'll be doing a pound of them some time soon.

It is Himalayan Pink Salt, not a curing salt. Fancy foo foo stuff, I know, but Kosher is a little coarser than I want in a rub. The bird ate like butta'. I threw the giblets (which I brined w/ the bird) in the smoker after I pulled the bird and ran them at 225 for 2 hours. The liver was better than any Rumaki I have ever had. I'll be doing a pound of them some time soon.
I would sure like to see a thread about the liver smoke when you do it.  I love a good chicken liver.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky