"Green" wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhille42

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Kansas City
I was watching a show on the Food network the other day ( don't recall what it was) and they were interviewing a long time Q er. He was saying that he does not dry or cure or whatever you want to call it his wood. He uses it "green". Says he gets better tbs, lasts longer, and more flavor. I would think that this is possible if burnt in the right conditions, but the chances of heavy creosote would be high. Just wondering what some of your thoughts were about this.
confused.gif

Im not sure if you were watching the same show as I, but his one guy kept saying he used wet white hickory. The wood looked white as snow. Most dry wood ive seen has a bit of a yellowish color. I wonder if certain varieties of wood are more suitable for "green" usage. Anyone wanna school me?

If you go here
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/prog...7__EST,00.html
IF you scroll down to the bottom of the page
You can see every calendar day for this month and next.
Just click on the day of your show and the appx time and you can find it.
Unfortunately, it only has June/July so if it was end of May you're "jipped" unless you remember the host then you can look it up that way.
Hope it helps.
SKOL
V

No, it was Mike Mills. (BBQ GOD) I brought this one up when I saw the original airing of the show and opened a thread. I believe the answer was #1, experience and #2, he cooks using a higher temp then we do. He uses green apple wood from his apple tree in his front yard!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky