Green Bay Packer Brats - Step-by-Step with LOTS of Q-View - Good for Rookies!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

princess

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Lafayette, Indiana
Greetings, everyone.

The Q-View below is VERY basic.  If you have never ground sausage before, I want you to know just how easy it really is.  Do your prep work diligently, make sure you run a clean kitchen, have the right equipment and follow the directions.

Being from Chicago originally, I am not allowed to be a Green Bay Packer Fan, but I do like the idea of green onions and cheddar cheese making a green-and-gold bratwurst. What follows below is a recipe and step-by-step suitable for anyone making sausage for the first time.

2lb pork shoulder, trimmed and cubed

1lb beef flank, trimmed and cubed

4 oz cheddar, made into a tiny dice

1/2 cup of chopped green onion

1 egg

3/4 cup powdered milk solids

4 TB salt

1 TB freshly ground black pepper

1 TB mace

a grinder turn or two of dried ginger, if you have it handy

5/8 cup whole milk

Hog casings (I cleaned about three feet)

*~*~*~*

All the stuffing stuff: Technically this picture comes AFTER the one below it. I always cube my meat FIRST and then toss it in the freezer to get nice and cold before it goes in the grinder.

b5f286f4_2ingredients.jpg

Pork and Beef

bab06bb8_4porkandbeef.jpg

Once your meat is chopped, pop it in the freezer while you prep everything else. I just left it on the cutting board in a single layer. Ideally, you'd like ice crystals on your meat. Cold meet grinds better and we all know the importance of keeping meat ICY cold as long as possible, right?  :)

Into the freezer:

24a4ee63_5porkandbeeffreezer.jpg

Now, while that's getting icy... Go prep. Fix the other ingredients. Get your grinder ready. (I am going to do a post very soon on the Care and Feeding of an Electric Grinder) Grab an ice bowl, fill it with ice, and grab a clean bowl to grind into. Don't forget to turn up the stereo!! I find sausage tastes better if I am dancing while making it!!

We need to prep our hog casings now. If you like them packed in salt, they look kinda funny. They need to be cleaned and soaked. Thirty minutes in warmish water is fine for most salt packed casings once cleaned.

785ac50c_14saltpacked.jpg

They look kinda like snowy shoestrings:

a68f7900_15casingick.jpg

Rinse the outside first, getting the salt grains off.

90296b78_16rinseoutside.jpg

Then, carefully rinse the inside. Be careful. They want to slip and slide down your sink and I cannot even IMAGINE the bacteria development three feet into your sink. ::shudder::  Essentially you want to get them nice and clean, inside and out. All the while, look for holes, tears, etc.

5eff684e_17rinseinside.jpg

Get them soaking in nice warm water.

3f0e9992_18soak.jpg

At the last possible moment, go get the meat back out of the freezer.

019e68d7_7bowlofice.jpg

Grind away, mixing your meats together.

b3e706a5_8grinditallup.jpg

Once that is done, mix the meat with the cheese and onion...

3109f09e_11cheesemeatandonion.jpg

Whisk together all the other goodies (milk, egg, etc)

86288171_10seasoningmix.jpg

Mix all of it and transfer the mix (it will look very wet) into your stuffer.

be74ced4_12allmixedintostuffer.jpg

I used a medium stuffer horn, tied off one end of the casings and got them slid on. This operation cannot be TOO wet. You want water-water-everywhere. Get the horn wet. Get your trays wet. Get your HANDS wet! Casings don't like hitting anything dry. That is how you tear them.

8d43c176_16loadedhorn.jpg

I also plan to do a post on the care-and-feeding of a stuffer. More pics like those will be there.

For now? Let's just STUFF SOME BRATS!!

0906f356_18snugsausage.jpg

Twist them off. You need to make sure that every brat gets twisted the opposite way. So if you twist the first one TOWARDS you then twist the second one AWAY from you.  I learned (just this year, thank you SMF friends) that you can also twist one, measure two, twist the third the same way as the first, effectively twisting the second one in the process. Someone better than me needs to describe this, clearly. ;)  Find a length you like and twist away. (Ignore that little squidgy brat on the end... that's for the Sweet Prince, my nearly two-year-old)

6f8cb6cb_20morelinks.jpg

I find that if I then place them in the fridge for an hour or so, they cut apart very neatly with no loss of filling.

8fca49fb_21clippedandtrayed.jpg

Grill, nice and slow, for 30 min or so... turning regularly. Mmmm.... The milk solids and egg help make this mix nice and juicy, but substantial enough to hold in that Cheddar goodness.

If you try this, please let me know what you think?

Cheers!

-Princess

I am quite sure I still have a Bears jersey with a nice 9 and some cute Irishman's name on the back... Funky QB ;>  Otherwise? Football season is just another excuse for me to cook for larger groups!!

Awesome, would be better if it had a star on them. Oh Banter Started!!!

Nice work as always.....    If you dance like you make sausage you should be on dancin with the stars................
biggrin.gif

Awesome post. Great step by step. A grinder/stuffer is on my X-mas list this year. And sausage is on the to do list for sure.

Thanks for the instruction.

icon_cool.gif

Yes again you have done one great Job there Princess. It will definatly be on the fasttrack to Wiki heaven. Now I think it should be in the how to section for sausage making.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
You better watch out or this thread will also be called for Holding

Last edited:
Man I want to try that! Where on earth do you get the casings though? I live in BFE & there's nothing like that here? Is it hard to open them to clean & stuff?

Princes another great tutorial. I am looking forward to running this one thru the stuffer real soon
Man I want to try that! Where on earth do you get the casings though? I live in BFE & there's nothing like that here? Is it hard to open them to clean & stuff?
Terry

I pick mine up at Bass Pro shop - the is one in Mesa and another in Vegas plus there are a lot of them at on line sausage sites

Let me know if you cant find them and I will ship them to you

I think I'll do patties.  I don't have any sausage equipment.  I start small.  the links look great.  I'll have them for the next RAVENS game.

Thanks

If you have a large funnel and the casings you can still stuff - but like you said - I did patties for a while to get used to some flavors

This one almost snuck by me!

Great Post Princess!

A couple grilled ones & a Sammy would have finished this off real nice.

Don't mind me, one of the things I like almost as much as eating good food, is looking at pictures of good food

Hmmmm, Number "9"---When he became an old man with a beard, didn't I see him hangin' around Philly for awhile?

Bear

Hey Thanks Scar
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Have a cheap handcrank grinder &Im looking for a stuffer now!!

Hows that Fallbrook weather treating you, Im sooo jealous

Hey Thanks Scar
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Have a cheap handcrank grinder &Im looking for a stuffer now!!

Hows that Fallbrook weather treating you, Im sooo jealous
I sent you a PM so we dont hijack this thread any more than we have - sorry Princess

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky