Greatest Intro Ever...Rush

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So cute! Rush is a solid band, character-wise to introduce a child to. I am a fan mostly of their more straightforward earlier stuff. They got a bit ethereal for me as they aged. Too intelligent! I like my music to mean something, but get to the point!

For me, I couldn't consider myself a good guitar player until I could play 2112 Overture and Temples of Syrinx. Funny thing was, once you could do that, you could play the whole album which is all variants of the same chord progressions!...which was fun. Kind of like AC/DC but with nuance. Once you learned a couple AC/DC songs you could play anything on their albums, but Rush's chord progressions changed album to album and were more complex of course.

I carry Rush AND Tool in my music mix. Tool is great, but like Rush, they "tool around" a bit much for me...get to the point! I dont need 15 minute songs that piddle around (like the song zwiller shared...good stuff but I find myself daydreaming and thinking about stuff I need to do and forget I'm listening to a song!). Once I found Audacity and the ability to cut and splice and fade in-out, I rescued many songs that I refused to carry in my mix because they had terribly long intros, outros, bridges, etc.. Some great songs just ruined with ridiculously long drum solos, etc., which were a big thing in the 70's especially. I dont hate drums, but after a minute or two we get it...same with guitar solo's, I think every rock song should have one...but not 5 continuous minutes of one! Of course if you listen to any of the greats like Satriani, DiMeola, etc....it's ALL one big guitar solo! Neither of which I carry in my mix of 1,400+ songs that go with me everywhere. But, outstanding guitarists nonetheless.
So, what kind of guitar do you play?

So cute! Rush is a solid band, character-wise to introduce a child to. I am a fan mostly of their more straightforward earlier stuff. They got a bit ethereal for me as they aged. Too intelligent! I like my music to mean something, but get to the point!

For me, I couldn't consider myself a good guitar player until I could play 2112 Overture and Temples of Syrinx. Funny thing was, once you could do that, you could play the whole album which is all variants of the same chord progressions!...which was fun. Kind of like AC/DC but with nuance. Once you learned a couple AC/DC songs you could play anything on their albums, but Rush's chord progressions changed album to album and were more complex of course.

I carry Rush AND Tool in my music mix. Tool is great, but like Rush, they "tool around" a bit much for me...get to the point! I dont need 15 minute songs that piddle around (like the song zwiller shared...good stuff but I find myself daydreaming and thinking about stuff I need to do and forget I'm listening to a song!). Once I found Audacity and the ability to cut and splice and fade in-out, I rescued many songs that I refused to carry in my mix because they had terribly long intros, outros, bridges, etc.. Some great songs just ruined with ridiculously long drum solos, etc., which were a big thing in the 70's especially. I dont hate drums, but after a minute or two we get it...same with guitar solo's, I think every rock song should have one...but not 5 continuous minutes of one! Of course if you listen to any of the greats like Satriani, DiMeola, etc....it's ALL one big guitar solo! Neither of which I carry in my mix of 1,400+ songs that go with me everywhere. But, outstanding guitarists nonetheless.
Agree pretty much with all points. Oh man, Fly by Night, now that's a Rush tune for ME.

You would also agree with me how much Mal was ACDC not Angus.

On the actual talk on greatest intros... Not a fan of Queen AT ALL all but my brother turned me onto Montreal. Those first 2 tunes... Top form. Up there for sure. Easily trounces Rush. Now no doubt Rush is EASILY the better in term of musicianship, BUT that's not everything, sorry. Personally I believe KISS perfected that arena rock thing. Or maybe Van Halen. Then there is The Ramones. Humble Pie? MC5? LOL

Full disclosure, The Police do it for me as of late. That summer/reggae vibe is just icing on the cake.

• Wow
Reactions: forktender
The Police? Really?
Queen, not my style, but all I have to say is Brian May!!!

I've always been a fan of the Canadian bands. Rush, Triumph, April Wine, BTO, Guess Who, and yes even Lover Boy had a few good tunes.

The Temples of Syrinx is the bomb. I can listen to that song daily.

Chris

I was not a big Rush fan , but did like some of their stuff
and you call yourself a Canadian - Geeze

I've always been a fan of the Canadian bands. Rush, Triumph, April Wine, BTO, Guess Who, and yes even Lover Boy had a few good tunes.

Chris

Ha Ha , I don't hate them, just would not go to a concert or buy their albums ....
Now April Wine , a home town band from here , were fantastic, Miles is still singing and doing a lot of charity work around here.

Guess who , Yes love them , BTO , ok but played to death when they were big, they still show up once in a while around here also.
So many great bands and singers

And then Sarah Mclachlan
, lived here in Halifax for a while, very haunting voice

David

Reactions: gmc2003
I'm not even gonna think about saying that I love "tool" around this crowd.
But Tool, is always on my play list rotation.
Dan.
🤘
I haven't been around here enough to know what trouble I could get in! My guess...not a hard rock-metal crowd generally?
So, what kind of guitar do you play?
The guitar that I DON'T play anymore is a '78 Ibanez Artist. It sits gathering dust on its case in the corner of my office with my Yamaha acoustic. I dont even have the fingertip callouses to play it for long, even with slinky strings. When I was a teen and actually playing, I would play so long I had to put crazy glue on my fingertips to keep going.

This picture is from years ago when I was trying to figure out it's value. The action is similar to a Les Paul which Ibanez was first famous for copying very well if I remember correctly. I think the Artist was their first production of their own design but it's been a while since I've researched it, I could be wrong.
front.jpg

Agree pretty much with all points. Oh man, Fly by Night, now that's a Rush tune for ME.

You would also agree with me how much Mal was ACDC not Angus.

On the actual talk on greatest intros... Not a fan of Queen AT ALL all but my brother turned me onto Montreal. Those first 2 tunes... Top form. Up there for sure. Easily trounces Rush. Now no doubt Rush is EASILY the better in term of musicianship, BUT that's not everything, sorry. Personally I believe KISS perfected that arena rock thing. Or maybe Van Halen. Then there is The Ramones. Humble Pie? MC5? LOL

Full disclosure, The Police do it for me as of late. That summer/reggae vibe is just icing on the cake.

Of all the Rush songs, The Trees always sticks in my mind the most. A metaphor of society and governments. This was about the time Rush started losing me but The Trees is one of two straight up "songs" on that album. 2112 captivated me as a teen, but the whatever that style is called where the music is more like an opera, or whatever, lost its glean for me. Mostly because of what I said before, I guess my attention span is too short, I start daydreaming about other stuff while they are piddling around. Get to the point!😖

The guitar was AC/DC for sure, but the first album after Bon Scott died was a shock to the system. Nobody knew how they were going to go on without him. At first, I didn't like it but the album Back in Black was so good I had to overlook this new voice that sounded like a rat bieng squeezed to death then that run through a synthesized compressor. Johnson always looked like he was about to crap himself to me...that voice was so compressed!

I was a huge Kiss fan as a kid. They continuously disappointed me though because I became a Kiss fan wearing out Kiss Alive, the best album they ever produced to this day in my opinion. It's the only album any Kiss songs in my rotation come from...and thankfully I was able to crop and splice songs like 100,000 years...that drum solo felt like 100,000 years! Rock And Roll All Night IS NOT in my mix/rotation. When I say get to the point, I dont mean repeat it ad nauseam...

And speaking of Queen...never was a favorite of mine, too operatic for me. Funny in retrospect...the macho guys, you know the ones with the big mouth and sleeveless shirts, used to call me terms for what we refer to as LGBTQ today for listening to Kiss. Because they wore makeup. These same guys would blast Queen from their stereo though. I always thought the overly macho guys were compensating for some "latency".

I dont have any Police in my best-of mix rotation, but do have some Marley and Steel Pulse for the reggae.

Chris

When I was a teen, and even in to younger adulthood, I had no idea these were Canadian bands. It always confused me especially with British bands. Some American bands sang more British sounding than the British bands! I never understood how these guys talked as British as it gets, but as soon as they started singing, they didn't sound British at all. Universal language, music is. I forget what singing competition we watched not long ago...dude was as Asian as it gets...thick accent...sounded as American as could be when he sang.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Rush is awesome. I saw them on the R30 Tour. Their whole catalogue is solid. The mid 80's new wave stuff was a little harder for me to get into when I recently did a deep dive. I had Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves and I had Presto back in high school when it came out, but the rest of it I only knew their radio hits and of course there are ton of them. There was stuff that came out in the 90s I didn't even realize was them but had heard on the radio. I really enjoyed the earlier prog stuff. Hemispheres is a masterpiece.

I was a huge Kiss fan as a kid. They continuously disappointed me though because I became a Kiss fan wearing out Kiss Alive, the best album they ever produced to this day in my opinion. It's the only album any Kiss songs in my rotation come from...and thankfully I was able to crop and splice songs like 100,000 years...that drum solo felt like 100,000 years! Rock And Roll All Night IS NOT in my mix/rotation. When I say get to the point, I dont mean repeat it ad nauseam...
Most people I hung out with owned Kiss alive. Although not many would admit to it, including me. About the only Kiss song I'll listen to today is Beth. It's one song that could have come from the early 70s late 60s. Other than that one song I'll flip the dial on the radio when Kiss is on the air.

And speaking of Queen...never was a favorite of mine, too operatic for me. Funny in retrospect...the macho guys, you know the ones with the big mouth and sleeveless shirts, used to call me terms for what we refer to as LGBTQ today for listening to Kiss. Because they wore makeup. These same guys would blast Queen from their stereo though. I always thought the overly macho guys were compensating for some "latency".
HA, I sort of resemble that macho guy. I'm about 6'6" and 280. I was 6'3" in high school about 225. Although I never gave anyone crap for listening to Kiss. I did pick on one guy(in jest) for listening to Anne Murray(another Canuck). I also found some room in my rotation for Sweet, Bowie and Sniffing the tears. Not exactly the manly man looking bands. Queen was a staple at our keg parties.

I find it interesting that suddenly a lot of old bands are touring again...
The Geritol and Depends tour. Coming to a city near you. No thanks.

Chris

I dont listen to anything Kiss that was on the radio, including Beth which was my first huge disappointment from them...too "wussy" for me at the time...and look at me, talking about the macho guys!:emoji_rolling_eyes:

I hope you got my joke/point about the macho guys calling me, lets say "light in the loafers" (I dont know where the limits are here on free speech and language) while they were blasting a singer who was "light in the loafers". It didn't even occur to me until I got much older how hilarious that was.

From Destroyer-on, Kiss began to lose me to Sabbath, Zepplin, Deep Purple, etc.. Of course, I WAS only 12 when I was a big Kiss fan! I only listen to 5 songs from Kiss in my collection today. All from Alive. Zero Queen! Although I might take a Spotify stroll through their discography to see if there's anything I might like. The music world was a bubble back then as kids just didn't have access to all the available bands and I got tired of wasting my hard-saved kid money buying albums that had maybe two good songs on them. Today, its wide open, we can listen to and record or download anything...like, just one song from an album, which in some cases is the only good song on the album! It's a good era for the music listener.

The area I grew up in was still pretty "Rebel Flaggy", the anthem for most of our keg parties was Free Bird. A lot of southern rock but other hard rock too.

The area I grew up in was still pretty "Rebel Flaggy", the anthem for most of our keg parties was Free Bird. A lot of southern rock but other hard rock too.
We played Skynyrd cassettes as well as Van Halen, Triumph, Deep Purple, Grand Funk, Rush, April Wine and others.

I hope you got my joke/point about the macho guys calling me, lets say "light in the loafers" (I dont know where the limits are here on free speech and language) while they were blasting a singer who was "light in the loafers". It didn't even occur to me until I got much older how hilarious that was.
I got it no harm no foul. When I was growing up we'd make fun of anyone and everyone. Nobody got offended. They all took it with a grain of salt.

Chris

A different day back then for sure. Merciless sometimes. Some say it built character. As I got older I realized it made "character" easily defined. That's why free speech is important...many people will show you exactly their character!

I have songs from every one of those bands in my mix today!

About the only Kiss song I'll listen to today is Beth.
About the only KISS song Peter Criss ever sang. And yes, I have the Alive album along with Hotter Than Hell, Rock and Roll Over, Destroyer, Love Gun, and Dressed to Kill. I saw them in concert 5 times, but don't care to listen to them anymore, either...

About the only KISS song Peter Criss ever sang. And yes, I have the Alive album along with Hotter Than Hell, Rock and Roll Over, Destroyer, Love Gun, and Dressed to Kill. I saw them in concert 5 times, but don't care to listen to them anymore, either...
There is some good that came out of the Kiss army's leader. Gene Simmons helped Van Halen get their start by funding their first recording session.

Chris

Thank You Gene. ...

I never was into the metal/hard rock... But of coarse there were a few songs I liked... Always liked Southern Rock , Classic Rock (they call it now) Good Ol Rock and Roll... Country Rock...
Well you are from the Skynyrd and 38 Special part of the country.

Chris

Reactions: 912smoker
The Outlaws (The Guitar Army).. Right here from Tampa Bay...

But I'm actually from upstate NY... On Lake Ontario between Buffalo and Rochester ... Move here in 79...

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky