Great Outdoors Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One other question, the wide body is $30 more and the only difference in size is the width. The smaller one is 16" wide and the bigger is 20" wide, is it worth it to get the bigger one? Could a whole turkey fit in a 16"wide by 14" deep smoker? Dont know if I'll ever do a whole turkey or not just wondering about the size.

I have one, and I like it. Also have the charcoal model.
Buy the larger one! Otherwise, down the road you will wish you had.
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

I've got the GOSM you're looking at. Works great, but if you plan to cook for more than four, spend the extra $30 and get the wider one. I have no problem with mine, but that four inches can be big if your smoking large pieces of meat.
Great choice as far as I'm concerned.

Well most of the time I'll just be fixing stuff my wife, daughter and myself but I know when we have people over I'll want the extra room so I guess I'll get the bigger one.

OK! Good choice!
These things run a 15-20 degree difference between the top and bottom racks, top is hottest. Something to remember.

So, as I cooked my first 5 slabs of baby backs on the same GOSM, the temp gauge was at a minumum of 250-275, with it set to low. So, if I cook accordingly, the lower rack should be at a good 225-250'ish?

Well just made a run from work to Wally World and got it. After looking at them I decided to go with the smaller one since most of my cooking will be for just 3. Plus with the 3 racks it looks like I should still be able to get a lot of meat in there if we have people over.

I bought the model you are looking at and have been very happy with it after getting the regulator replaced. I can now get it to hold temps as low as 200 degrees. It fits two 12 pound turkeys with room to spare. They come out awesome if you brine them overnight. We have probably done a turkey each month now for the past 6 months. It also uses very little gas. Overall, I would say you made a good choice. Pork shoulders smoked and pulled make great sandwiches. Just remember, the more you use it, the better you will get!

I bought the 24" wide GOSM at Bass Pro shop store near me. I think they made special models for wal-mart stores. I had (have) a 16" wide Brinkman vertical charcoal smoker. Used it sort of successfully for about 2 seasons and it was just a pain to keep it at a good temperature. First time I used GOSM I smoked 2 butts and 4 full racks of ribs. The butts where about 8 lbs each and I started them about 6 or 7 AM. I figured the ribs where going to be for dinner and I could wait till about 11 AM or so to get them going. As it turned out both the butts and ribs where available for dinner. Nobody was any the wiser I had just used a propane smoker. I had to crank the temp knob all the way down to keep it low. Only used about half a 20 lb propane tank. I am definitely NOT disappointed with my purchase. I've only been at this about 2 years or so but I learn quick and read the forums for tips, and there are a lot of good ones here.

Tell me more about the fix you did......

What parts.....cost....steps involved....??

Does it only apply to the 16 inch model or is the 20 inch model affected too...??

Thanks in advance...!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Yes, also interested in the regulator mod?

The only way I have been able to get 200-225 is to only open the propane tank 3/4 of a turn, then using the GOSM to fine tune.

Hope you enjoy that gasser. You will be turning out some great smoked food in no time. Be sure to ask about any questions you may have.

I picked up the 16" propane model at the Home Depot last summer. One of the best buys I made.

One mod I would make first, is pick up a 9" square cake pan to use instead of the iron wood box that come standard. This allows for more wood chunks or pieces to be used with less changing.

This is a versitile unit, I have doubled it as a warming/holding oven, and even used it to make some hot side dishes. A great part of your outdoor kitchen.

Good luck

John

I have the 16 inch gasser also. If I leave it at the lowest temp it runs at 200 on the top rack. I got 197 on the middle rack. that was on a 92 degree day it runs cooler as the temp drops outside but I love it to death. just got it like 3 weeks ago and have been smoking every weekend and some week days. Love the pork butt on it and the beer can chickens. I am hooked on the smoke.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

My son has the 16 inch wide gosm and wishes he had gotten the 20 inch wide one. Bigger briskets have a bit of a problem fitting into the 16 inch wide one. Other then that he loves his smoker. I'd go with the wider one if I were getting one.

Good luck,

Bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky