Gralax

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graywolf1936

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Northern California
I been making Gralax for some time, Salmon, salt, sugar, capers and dill, let it cure for 3-4 days, slice thin and serve with cream cheese. My guest love it. Now I want  to add another level of flavor without changing the texture(too much). Now,you think I could smoke it for short time at 180 for that smoke flavor or such I just use heavy smoked salt in the curing process. Thank you

Joe

If you have the capability to cold smoke it, that works well without changing the texture. Any heat above 80°-100° will change the texture. I've done cold smoked gravlax several times and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Here is some cold smoked gravlax with dill I did a while back.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokingpiney
If you have the capability to cold smoke it, that works well without changing the texture. Any heat above 80°-100° will change the texture. I've done cold smoked gravlax several times and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Here is some cold smoked gravlax with dill I did a while back.
MDB by any chance did you do a step by step? That looks fantastic

Richie

That's the recipe I followed. It's the best one I've ever used. Only change I ever made was to wrap in plastic and put it back in the fridge for a day or two after forming the pellicle. It happened by accident but it was a good thing. It made the texture much more velvety.
Thank You Sir Salmon on sale this week.

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky