Got the one problem figured out (I think)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
OK guys, especially Mods & computer geeks, I think I got the one problem I complained about figured out.

Other than the logging in & getting bumped off a lot now & then, I complained about "lines" coming from out of nowhere, and messing up my step by step instructions for various smokes.

I think I found out what causes them, and I'd like some other guys to try the same thing, and see if it happens to them too.

It seems any time you type 5 dashes in a row, instead of the 5 dashes showing up when you hit submit, a line appears all the way across the page, and the next word goes below that line.

Try what I'm going to do below:

Type "test-test", first with 1 dash, then with 2 dashes, then with 3 dashes, then with 4 dashes, then with 5 dashes.

Then watch what happens to the one with 5 dashes, when you hit submit.

Like this:

test-test

test--test

test---test

test----test

test

test
Try it,

Bearcarver

test

test-test

test--test

test ---test

test----test

test

test

You was right!

Last edited:
test 1 -

test 2 --

test 3 ---

test 4 ----

test 5

test 6

Not on mine, must be a setting on your system.

On Edit, Okay I was Wrong...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
Good it's not just me!

It's a pain!

When I do a step by step, I always used various numbers of dashes to line things up. Now I've been doing it in paragraph form, because of this stupid phenomenon. My step by steps were a lot easier to follow in chart form, that in paragraphs.

Can anything be done about this???

Thanks Eman & Beer-B-Q,

Bear

Last edited:
Try using the list function in the toolbar...
  1. List 1
  2. List 2
  3. List 3
  • List 3a
  • List 3b
  • List 3c

What does your source code look like?

test 5

test

Here is mine below:

<p>
 What does your source code look like?</p>
<p>
  </p>
<p>
 test 5

test</p>

Edit: Even when I used the source code and it showed the individual hyphen once I submitted it went to the solid line. Looks like something being subbed at the level of the page design Here's what i see in the source code now."="bbcode_rule""

Last edited:
My problem is:

When I want to put 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or any other amount of dashes in a row in my post, that is what I want.

I don't want a line there instead, and then have my next word or number moved down another line.

If I want a solid line, I'll put it there myself.

And if I want to move my next word down a line, I'll hit "return".

Non-geek Bear

I beileve this is hard coded into the site.  When I went back into my post to edit it and viewed the source (button on top left of reply box) I saw the 5 hyphens were replaced by "="bbcode_rule"" .  I did a quick google search and it seems that you can code different kinds of screen formats / lines / whatever using that bbcode. 

Sometime geek - Brian

I beileve this is hard coded into the site.  When I went back into my post to edit it and viewed the source (button on top left of reply box) I saw the 5 hyphens were replaced by "="bbcode_rule"" .  I did a quick google search and it seems that you can code different kinds of screen formats / lines / whatever using that bbcode. 

Sometime geek - Brian
Thanks Brian,

I'm a "No time geek", but my non-geek pea brain thinks things that are "hard coded into the site" should be just as easily "hard-coded" out of the site.

But I guess that's just me,

Bear

Bear, I agree it should be able to be changed easily.  Whoever is the host of the site will have to go in and change it.  Wish I could do that for you. 

Bear, I agree it should be able to be changed easily.  Whoever is the host of the site will have to go in and change it.  Wish I could do that for you. 
No problem Brian,

They're usually pretty good about things like this.

I'm sure if the powers that be agree that we should be able to put more than 4 dashes in a row, without it changing into a "post destroying line" I'm sure they will fix it.

Thanks,

Bear

No problem Brian,

They're usually pretty good about things like this.

I'm sure if the powers that be agree that we should be able to put more than 4 dashes in a row, without it changing into a "post destroying line" I'm sure they will fix it.

Thanks,

Bear
"Post destroying line", LOL

Just ruined your post....

Full-time geek here.
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

The best thing to do is to start a "feature request" thread asking to disable this particular bbcode substitution.  I would even add a poll to show how many users support it.

While it would be *easy* to change, it might not be very *simple* depending on how the application is designed.  This is probably a global setting that affects all of the sites that use this software.  So changing it at that level would affect them all and possibly tick off a bunch of people who have actually been using it for it's intended purpose.  A *properly* designed application would allow fine-tuning for each site which would override the global setting.  So, if we're dealing with some good programmers here then they just need to know if the majority of this site's users want to have this feature enabled or disabled.

Full-time geek here.
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

The best thing to do is to start a "feature request" thread asking to disable this particular bbcode substitution.  I would even add a poll to show how many users support it.

While it would be *easy* to change, it might not be very *simple* depending on how the application is designed.  This is probably a global setting that affects all of the sites that use this software.  So changing it at that level would affect them all and possibly tick off a bunch of people who have actually been using it for it's intended purpose.  A *properly* designed application would allow fine-tuning for each site which would override the global setting.  So, if we're dealing with some good programmers here then they just need to know if the majority of this site's users want to have this feature enabled or disabled.
You mean something like:

Fellow meat smokers, If you are typing a step by step recipe & instruction post to make it real easy for anybody who wants to make the same thing you are posting, would you want the things you type to stay the way you typed them, or would you want some computer based technical crap to take what you typed & change it to something that readers will be unable to comprehend.

Example:

If you simply type 5 or more dashes in a row to make things line up in a column, would you want those dashes to stay where you put them, or would you want them to disappear, and have a full line across the page appear in their place, scrambling the order of everything you are trying to display?

Choose #1 or #2

#1:   I would want my post stay the way I type it.

#2:   I don't care if others can understand it or not.

Thank You,

Bearcarver

I guess that would be my question. I never tried to do a poll, other than to vote in one.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky