got some porkbelly,so...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt r

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Long Island, New York
1st time trying bacon. Got about 8 pounds,and have rubbed it down with turbinado sugar, kosher salt and pepper. Stuck it in the fridge and in about 10 days gonna put some hickory smoke on it.
Not using any cure as it's going to be in the fridge.
So any tips?[emoji]128515[/emoji]

i just put 11 pounds in cure in the frig yesterday. vac sealed and got in the frig. ill season then smoke in 7 days. we shall see my first one also

No cure??? Even in the fridge you are taking a big risk. I wouldn't wait ten days to start with and I would hot smoke it. What you will end up with is smoked pork belly, not bacon.

I guess my terminology is wrong. I am going to hot smoke it for a few hours.
Am I making a mistake here? I have a friend who does the same thing with no problem.
What should I do?

Yeah your right. Good point.
What do you recommend I do? I don't have any tenderquick.
Maybe I'll just smoke it and eat it as a roast.

Yeah your right. Good point.
What do you recommend I do? I don't have any tenderquick.
Maybe I'll just smoke it and eat it as a roast.
The Wal Mart here doesn't carry TQ but a lot of grocery stores do. Or you can use cure #1 since you already have salted it. I get cure 1 at the local butcher shop. Whatever cure you use FALLOW THE DIRECTIONS, WEIGH THE MEAT AND MEASURE THE CURE REAL WELL!  Then flip daily.

Happy smoken.

David

Wal Mart usually has cure #1 in the hunting/fishing section with the smoking/stuffing stuff.... small clear bags hanging on the steel pegs...  It's pink salt and pink colored...     Saw it last week....   

Dave

Matt, I think you could go ahead and hot smoke it if you want but I wouldn't wait ten days. Keep in mind it probably won't taste like bacon as you know it but still could be delicious. Maybe smoke after 3-4 days. Be sure to get it from 40 to 145 within a 4 hour time span. If you can't find cure #1 or tenderquick look for High Mountain buckboard bacon cure at one of the big sportsmans stores like Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Sportsmans Warehouse. Also check with a local butcher for cure.

Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna hunt down some cure for the next attempt at bacon. This time I'm simply going to smoke the belly and try bAcon another time

Thanks for the tips guys. Gonna hunt down some cure for the next attempt at bacon. This time I'm simply going to smoke the belly and try bAcon another time
thumb1.gif

on that note i have my bacon cured and in the frig vacuum sealed, is vac sealin ok for bacon or does it need oxygen for the curing process. just curious id hate to ruin 11 lbs of belly. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky