Got my 32 qt pot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
So I was unable to get the imasa steamer pot from target walmart or amazon everyone was back ordered. So I did a search and found this resturant suppy site that had a 6mm thick
14 in dia by 11.75 tall for $30..
It came today and is great. The smokey joe top fits perfect but the bottom is a little smaller than the grate lip , so it kinda wedges itself
In the bottom and is tight to lift off.
So do you think I should keep the grilling grate on and just let it sit on top ? Even though there is a slight gap.
Or should I drill a few screws into the lip to support the pot!

I bought a viscona pot and it didn't fit real tight either. With use it will fit better.

yea.. you don't want to leave the grate under the pot and create a gap... you will not have any control of your fire(to much air) ...

So I guess I will just have to wrestle a little with the pot to get it off . But the fire is cranking I sue a little heat expansion will help

Do not forget to spray the lip of the smokey joe base with "pam for grilling". It is a good food grade high-temperature lubricant which will make it easier to lift the pot off the base.  Do not do anything which lifts the pot up, it will create an air gap (as said before, that is a bad thing). If it had a lid, it could be bolted to the bottom (once the handle is removed), to create a flange between the pot and the smokey joe base. 

Last edited:
How does the pot lid fit on the SMJ base? I attach the lid from my pot to the bottom of the pot on all of my minis. Works great and gives a good solid base to work off of. No sticking pot and no leaking air or smoke.

Last edited:
Looks good! I'd cut the bottom out of the pot if you want to do high temp smokes. If you only want to do low temp you'll be okay. Also with the drilled only bottom you can't load up the charcoal for longer cooks.

Last edited:
I thought I would go drilled first to see how it works. I can always cut the bottom out at a later date

I thought I would go drilled first to see how it works. I can always cut the bottom out at a later date

That you certainly can do. My first pot started with just holes drilled. Quite a few more than yours. Could never get above 250-255. Bought another pot and cut the bottom out of it, and it was a day and night difference. Cut the bottom out of the original pot and now all the pots I build I remove the bottom.

This pot is very strange. Comes from china
The sides and bottom are close to 1/4
The sides are 1/8 of a inch. So cutting the bottom is a project

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky