Got me a new toy today.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

low&slow

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 10, 2007
Arlington, TX
I was out in the country today and seen this little jewel sitting in a pasture. I pulled over and talked to the old man that was sitting on his porch widdling wood. He said he aint used it in 3 years. Asked him how much he would sell it for. He said he would take $600 for it. So I walked out there to take a look at it. It is in really good shape. One small hole in the tank on the firebox side. He said he would knock off $100 for the hole. I said DEAL!!
I gave him $500 cash and towed this bad boy home. It needs a little work, mostly sanding the rust off and welding a patch over the hole in the tank.
Its got a box along the bottom of the tank where the smoke travels and goes up through 2 holes on the bottom of the tank. I think Im going to weld plates over them holes and cut another hole at the front of the tank. Ill move the smoke stack to the back and then Ill have me a reverse flow smoker. I got one sweet deal today!!

I sure like the way the table folds up and down.

Its got a sliding vent on the bottom of the fire box.

Heres the hole in the tank. I can easily fix that. He even gave me a bunch of flat steel to patch the hole. I told him I was gonna fix it up and bring him the first packer brisket that comes off of it.

Looks like you got yourself a nice lil project. i would try it the way it is designed before trying the reverse flow stuff. The ole man might have had a killer smoker, just lost his drive to fill it with meat.

Nice find!

Looks great low&slow! Congratulations.....can't wait for your Qviews.
cool.gif

Looks like you need handles and such. I built a smoker several years ago before I moved and rock hammers have nice cool wire handles. Just cut the head off and weld on either bent or straight. Worked well for me and they are far less expensive compaired to the manufactured wire handles you can buy.
Rick

Sand blaster! You may be able to rent one local with a good hood and gloves. I would also fire it up to see how it works as is built just for kicks before getting into the rebuild. Inside pics? Grills? Water/Drip trays? Tuning plates? I wanna see the details in all thier glory!

I think you have a good point there. He did say it was a great smoker. I mentioned to him the reverse flow smoker option and he had never heard of it before. We talked for a good while about barbecue. He said he still loves to eat it, he's just too tired to stand out there all day now.

Oh I wont forget. I got his address and phone number before I left. We might just become good friends.

Thanks Rick, I will sure check them out. I was thinking of fabricating some custom handles Texas style.

I do feel quite lucky.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Thats a great idea about renting a sandblaster Zapper. I think you and Capt Dan are right about trying it out the way it is first. I will snap some pics of the inside when I get a chance. Its only got 1 rack inside. But its got 2 steel rods running the entire length of the smoke chamber. I cant figure out what they were used for. Theres no water pan or tuning plates. Theres no need for a baffle cause the smoke travels along that box on the bottom.

Thank you everybody else for the congrats. Its going to be a fun project to work on. Its going to be real sharp looking when I get done with it.

Them rods might be for hanging loops of sausage, or meat off of hooks!

exactly. My old smoker had single rod I had welded in and used it for sausage and trussed up chickens and cornish hens and such. S hooks in stainless with one end sharpened and the other end bent closed to slide on rod works great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky