Got a late start on thawing my turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

par383

Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I volunteered to smoke a 17# turkey I had in the deep freeze on Wednesday.  It's been thawing for a little over 24 hours (obviously won't be thawed in time for a smoke on Saturday).  I was going to do the "thaw in a cooler of water" thing tonight, changing the water every 30 minutes as you're supposed to do.  I also want to brine it. 

I was planning on brining it for 24 hours on Friday.  Could I just brine it for 48 hours, even though it's likely still frozen?  Or should I stick with my initial plan and do the cooler thing tonight, brining on Friday?

Why not continue to soak in the cooler to get it thawed and then finish thawing the final 24 hrs in the brine. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky