GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radar21

Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
I have a new smoky mountain smoker. I have done a few ribs and pheasants. I will be tackling a pair of briskets and a pork butt. How many hours can I expect from a propane tank? If I want 15 hours or so, will I need to pick up a second tank????? This will be a spring time cook, so I expect it will be fairly warm out.

That is a good question radar, I only have but one tank and I switch it off between my GOSM and my grill. I do have a tank gauge on my wish list for Father's Day. I'd wouldn't have to worry about running out of propane if my #1 son would just bring his 40 lb tank back to my house! :D

If you just top off you tank you should be alright.

I've had roughly 18-20 hrs from the 20lb tank.For me that relates to about 3 wkend cooks.

One trick I've tried (aka Alton Brown) is pour a large pot of hot water over the outside of the tank.The level of the gas tends to be cold and the tank sweats from the heat of the hot water.Its a visual thing thats easier to see if you try it

Alan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky