GOSM w/ missing thermo on ebay

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by homebrew & bbq, Nov 12, 2007.

1. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Seems like there have been several new members looking to buy their first smoker. Since most of the folks around here get a digital thermometer, a missing factory thermometer doesn't seem like a big deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smoky-Mountain-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't shopped for typical prices on a GOSM, but this seemed to be a good price.

2. monty

monty Master of the Pit Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Terry,

Going by the picture that appears to be the 24" GOSM which typically retails for about $129 or a bit less. The Big Block Gasser, Model 3605 BGD typically retails for around $189. That's the one I own and love.

Depending on how that auction goes, with shipping you could be paying too much. And yes, the door thermometers are not worth having.

I really enjoy my smoker and would highly recommend any size model of GOSM. But for my money I am delighted that I opted for the larger model.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

3. Go to walmart and buy yourself a new one, it will be a little
    more expensive but it will be new.That way you can season
    it the way you want.

4. monty

monty Master of the Pit Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Another point, too, is that the unit wil ship without a tank. So by the time you buy the unit, ship it and buy a new tank you have paid almost the price of a new one.

I bought mine from Home Depot and the shipping was free! And one other tip, always have a spare tank. I get about three eight hour smokes from a 20 lb tank. Notice I said "about". Actual time will be influenced by temp, load in the box, how often you mop, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers!

5. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for the advice/insights.

I hadn't taken time to look at the shipping cost. I'm gonna pass on this. It doesn't really sound like much of a "deal" when everything is taken into consideration.

I'll stick with just my MES for a while.

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Ya gotta watch shipping some people will sell REAL cheap and screw you on shipping!

7. i went to a propane dealer and bought a used one full for the same price as a new one so thats something to try