GOSM Modification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

packrat

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 6, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Hello. I just joined. I'm getting a smoker for my 30th birthday, and I get to choose it. Somewhere $150 or under. I will probably mainly use it for pulled pork. I like the idea of being able to use an electric overnight, so am leaning towards electric. Wouldn't necessarily feel as safe about letting a propane one sit overnight without me watching it (or should I worry about that with propane?). I've seen reviews of electric vertical smokers, and it seems like many people have problems with it getting hot enough. I really like the vault front loading design of the GOSM, but they don't make it in electric (do they?). Would it be possible to remove the burner portion and rig up an electric element like you might find in electric smokers? Or would that be a really stupid idea? It would a perfect thing for me if it could be done. I appreciate any suggestions, or even links to other smokers that might be of better use for me. Thanks.

It might work with the smaller version. I beieve a few people were using some sort of electric hotplate f something like that.

You might want to run over to Roll call and introduce yourself and let us know who you are s we cn all greet you properly.

smoke hollow is the same design and shape of the gosm and they have electric ones

Electric is okay. People have used high watt hotplates for heating them, but only after checking them on a dry run first. I personaly haven't heard of any problems with propane being unsafe for any reason if used properly. Just know how much you have in the tank before you start. But yes, there are electrics out ther for sale.

I've got a gas GOSM and it does a very good job. With any type of open flame, you're going to have to monitor it, just for safety's sake. You'll probably have to do this with an electric as well. Part of Q'ing is monitoring temperatures. Usually about once an hour (for me anyway).

a GOSM is a start up and forget about smoker once its going, changing it to electric might not be to bad, the heating coil would need to be right under the smoke pot to produce any smoke and then there wouldent be enough heat to cook with, try the gasser GOSM I'm shure you will love it and get the big block the wider one so you can do ribs and such, find them at wal-mart for $128,

The GOSM smokers come in three widths.

Big Block - 24"
Wide Body - 20"
Regular - 16"

I highly suggest the Big Block.

Is there any advantage of the Big Block over the Wide Body, other than size? I really don't know that I need all that space.

The phantom 36" Big Block surfaces again! Wal-Mart sells the regular 16" wide and the Wide Body which is 20" wide. My Big Block is 24" wide.

I may be wrong, but I think the 36 refers to the height of the smoker. Yes, no, maybe?

I agree you wont have any problems doing the GOSM Big Block gasser. Also its better to get the big block for doing ribs. You can just lay them down and fit them in whole so that extra 4 inches makes a difference.
Last week I did a 17 lb turkey in it (just fit lengthwise). If I would have had anything smaller I would have to regulate my size of the turkey. Height wise I had enough room that I could probably have smoked two of them in it.

The Big Block will come with 3 racks (even though they have four slots) so you can allow for some height or if your making ribs for a good size group you can buy a extra rack if you desire.

The GOSM's such as the block block and wide body and talk of the 36" is the height not the width of the unit. The widths are 20" and 24."

I almost bought the GOSM thinking is was wider than the Smoke Vault. After digging a bit I found out the ads talking about 36" wide body lead you to believe the box is 36" wide but they are not - that is the height. Very misleading in my book.

The 24" wide GOSM Big Block comes with 4 cooking grates and 5 levels to put them. You also get a drip pan.
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Outdoors...9546031&sr=8-2

The 20" GOSM Wide Body that Wal-Mart sells comes with 3 cooking grates.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3342508

I wonder how many cooking grates the GOSM Loch Ness 36" wide smoker comes with?
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
Has anyone seen the new GOSM Big Foot Model?

I also hear there's a very elusive chupacabra model. (I hear it does wonders with goat!)
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky