GOSM Charcoal to Propane Conversion Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flash

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Chiefland/Cedar Key, Fl
I use a Northern Tool Single Burner hotplate hooked up to the standard 20 lb Propane tank. Have not smoked anything in a bit, but hooked up today to smoke a couple chucks and some ribs. Started up and ran building up temp. Came out later to a cold smoker. Hmm, flame went out. Seems like enough propane in tank, so I relight. Come out 40 minutes later and find flame out again. It is 90 degrees out with little to no wind. I decide to grab the tank from my Propane grill. It is newly filled. Heat build up and I see smoke from the wood. I go out 25 minutes later and see the flame is again out.
mad.gif

Well I guess it just has to be the regulator? What else can it be? I found a spare and have it hooked up now, but will I find the flame out again?

It has to breath, are the vents wide open? I also have found if you close the door too fast it also can make the flame go out.

You may be able to turn up the pressure on your regulator if it is adjustable, but I have not had too much luck with that.

My smoker has used this conversion for several years now. I need top vent open, one side closed, one partial open to allow propane line. If I open up more, the wood catches fire.
I have had it go out due to high winds, but not shutting the door. I do have a newer regulator on it that has a blue cap that appears to have an adjustment screw in it, but do not know how to adjust it. So far it has kept running, but will go out and check it soon.

Hey Flash,

A few things come to mind for me when you mentioned that you hadn't used it for a while:

It could a partially obstructed venturi orifice or screen on the gas burner manifold...maybe mud daubers got to it? Don't know if you have them buggers in your location. Could be a spider's web or something else, too.

Also, what color is the flame? I like to see all blue on low, some orange tips on medium flame, and more orange than blue on high flame. If the fuel/gas ratio is too lean, it doesn't take much to knock a gas burner on it's keester when it's cranked up high.

Eric

Well, it appeared to be the regulator. I swapped out for another one I have and it did not shut down on me. I guess they can go bad, but this will be my first one.

Yes, they can eventually fail, as any mechanical device will.

My original GOSM 3405 regulator suffered a ruptured diaphram after it's 4th or 5th year of service...leaked propane out of the regulator housing. Hardware store had one rated for 3 times the BTU output of my burner with the same nominal outlet pressure, so I grabbed it and a 1/4" to 3/8" bushing to retrofit the new regulator with the original LPG hose. A bit of teflon thread tape to assemble, and for about 12 bucks, I was ready to smoke again.

Glad to hear you're back in the thin blue!

Great smokes to ya, brother!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky