Good Wood for Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

btircuit

Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
Florida
I'm smoking a rib for dinner tonight and I'm not sure which wood to use for smoke... hickory, pecan or mesquite. I'd like to try mesquite but not sure if it will over power the taste of the beef.
What do you guys think?

In my opinion Hickory is stronger. Never tried Pecan. Maybe just try and use the wood for the first quarter of your smoke, then get heat from lump til cooked through.

That's one option.

Pecan is a great wood I use it 50% of the time on spares mild and suttle like a fruit wood. The other 50% is hickory and apple just for different tastes.

Personally I like all 3, but to my taste buds mesquite gets bitter if you use too much, I'd flip a coin between hickory and pecan.

Oak is also a good smoking wood for beef. A lot of steak houses that cook on wood coals use oak. It has a mellow flavor that really enhances the beef. I'm going to smoke a chuck this weekend with oak using DDAves Tri-level rub.

If you can find it, Alder wood is sooooooooooooooooooooooo good with every meat I've tried it on.

I have been using Apple Cherry and peach a lot. I will only give it a kiss of mesquite. I do know of cookers who use only mesquite and it is powerful. For some reason I like to taste the food too
icon_eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky