Good Lump

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

balsalsa

Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Just got my WSM 18" a few days ago and I am trying to find some good lump here in the Seattle area. I have checked out the Naked Whiz Lump review but the majority of the lump with good reviews is hard to find around here. So where do you PNWer's get your good lump?

If you're having trouble finding good lump in the PNW....try using standard briquettes....or, the Kingsford competition briquettes burn nearly as hot as lump, and are more readily available....i.e....Walmart.

Royal Oak charcoal briqs work well, too...if you can find the R.O. lump in your area, give it a shot. It's not the highest rated, but, far from the lowest, either. Oh, and make sure if you DO find the R.O. lump, that it's made in the USA...
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

L8r,
Eric

I get Kingsford Charwood at Safeway. I live south of Salem, OR. I know that Lowe's and Home Depot have Cowboy brand, but I'm not a big fan of it. Some of the stove stores carry Big Green Egg lump, but it is pretty expensive. Hope that helps. Let me know if you find some Royal Oak. I used some of that on a trip down to Texas and loved it.

Walmart carries the Royal Oak Redbag Lump. I have gotten good results from that. I agree rj2316 - stay away from Cowboy, very low ash, but also very short burn time. Have not tried the safeway stuff.

I've tried the Cowboy lump and had good success with it. I prefer the RO brand from Walmart but I sure as heck wouldn't shy away from the Cowboy if that's all you can get.

learn to make your own-I did and love my lump.that is if u not in a HOA area.and stay away from cowboy.

I usually buy a locally made brand called Seven Oaks. But the last couple of times, out of convience, I've ended up with Kingsford Charwood Lump from the grocery store. Pretty ashey but has a nice long burn with plenty of heat for my WSM.

I would take Cowboy over briquets, just make sure to buy an extra bag or two and pay more attention to your temps. I have a very large chamber to heat, so that might by why I was getting shorter burn times.

If nothing else see what you have available at your local stores and spend a weekend doing "research"
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
.... just make sure you got enough Black Bute Porter on hand!
biggrin.gif

Don't forget to get some Dead Guy to go with that Black Butte. One of the best parts of the PNW is the great beer that we have.

Sorry this is not in your neck of the woods, but it seemed like a good place to post this info for anyone in the Chicago area.

I picked up 80 lbs of Nature Glo for $39 at Berger Brothers on Wednesday. Haven't cooked with it yet, but planning to burn some this weekend and the next.

Amen! Found out the PNW is the third largest brewing region in the WORLD... after Belgium and Amsterdam.
icon_mrgreen.gif
You know you found a food brew pub when they bring you a 4 page beer menu with over 150 selections!

I hope it's better than their bricks. I got some of the bricks from GFS a year or so ago and it was pure junk. Way, way to much ash and not enough heat. Never again will I buy their briquettes.

Got a chance to cook with this over the weekend. My experience was very positive. Hi heat, large pieces of charcoal, and smelled GREAT while burning.

Disagree about Cowboy. I actually use it in concurrence with Royal Oak. I fill my charcoal basket with a mixture of RO and chips/chunks; I then light 2/3 chimney of Cowboy (which lights easier than RO) and dump it on one corner of the basket. And when no RO is available, using Cowboy throughout the process is still waaaay better than briquets.
I also use Cowboy when grilling steaks or other things on the CGSP side firebox. 1/3 chimney of it spread across half the bottom, plus a smattering of wood chips, works for grilling 3-4 aged shell steaks or 2 porterhouses to perfection. I use mesquite or hickory for that process; since the steaks are not on long, you can use a strong smoke flavor.

.... also don't forget differant smokers do better with differant fuels due to how efficient you smoker is. I would guess a UDS or some other vertical would do just fine with Cowboy - they seem to be more efficient. But I know in my offset I just don't get the longer burn times I need/want per chimney.

And I would definately take cowboy over briquets, but it basically all boils down to what works for your particular smoker.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I got really lucky last week and caught Royal Oak 18 pound bags on
clearance [few bags were torn and taped back] Bought all they had for 2.00 per bag . They were on sale for 4.16.. I like it about as much as anything I tried so far. Probably there is a lot better out there but not
for that price.. I have a shop-built offset and it works real well..

Hemi..
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky