Good Eats - Pork Fiction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kueh

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta
Season 2 episode 13 .... a nice show....oven roasting baby back ribs. AB (Alton Brown) shows the basic ribs cuts in relation to the pig.

There are a couple of techinques in this show that need telling.

One is a variation of the 3-2-1 rib method. This is the braising liquid AB used. This was for 2 rack of ribs.

1 cup white wine
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
2 Tbs worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs honey
2 cloves garlic, smashed

This would correspond to the second phase of 3-2-1. After the braising phase is finished, the liquid is recovered, reduced, and applied to the ribs on the final phase.

The other variation is rub creation. AB showed a 8-3-1 plus 1 recipe. The parts correspond to volume, not weight.

8 parts light brown sugar, packed lightly
3 parts kosher salt
1 part chili pepper (not chile powder)

This first part is a basic rub.

1 part black pepper
cayenne powder
jalapeno powder
Old Bay seasoning
dried thyme
onion powder

The last part is your personal choice, whatever ingredient and ratio you prefer. The listed ingredients what AB used in his rub. The last part is one part total, not one part each of the ingredients.

AB used a mason jar for mixing, storing, and sprinkling. He had two lids, one on top of the other.

In the show, AB went to a BBQ competition, the Big Pig Jig, to try to get some secret rub recipes.....:)

Jeff Randall - Wild Horse Saloon
Stan Blaxton & Eddie Morland - Allen Oinkers
Myron Mixon - Jack's Old South Barbeque

....sound familiar to anyone ??

I remember seeing this show, and wondered if this was how some restaurants that have no smoker might be doing their baby backs.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I made some darn good ribs in the oven before I started smoking. The smoke does make them taste better but maybe a drop or two of that liquid smoke is all they do in some Restaurants?
confused.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky