Good Dehydrator for Jerky?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

collingwood5

Original poster
Jul 23, 2020
Hi Everyone,
I am considering getting a new dehydrator for deer jerky, and I was wondering if folks here could tell me the better brands and types of dehydrators to look for. my main purpose for wanting to make jerky Is that I am type 2 diabetic and am always on the lookout for inexpensive healthy snacks for which I can control things like salt and sugar content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JC in GB
Honestly, I got one at Walmart 6-7 years ago. It was about 20-30$. I use the heck out of it for nothing but jerky. I use London broil, slice it up, marinade for 24 hours and then toss it in there for about 8 hours and whamo.

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome.
I bought a 12 tray Pro series from Cabelas a few years ago and use it only for Jerky.
I love it.
I would recommend it.
If the link works that's the one in Canadian dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: collingwood5
Excalibur dehydrators have a great reputation. I've been using my 9-tray model for going on 15 years and have absolutely no issues or complaints. I use it for making jerky, dried fruits, crackers, yogurt, dog treats, etc., though jerky is my favorite.

always on the lookout for inexpensive healthy snacks
Even home made jerky is not inexpensive, though you could make it from ground beef. That said, you can control salt and sugar content as you mentioned.

I have a Nesco Gardenmaster. Mine has the top mounted handle, heater and fan with digital controls. There is another model with a lower heater and fan, but with manual controls. Mine came with 4 trays, I bought 2 more but it can handle up to 20 trays. With 6 trays I can process 5# to 6# of raw weight. HERE is a thread from last month showing my last batch of jerky.

Mine is a Nesco also , not sure which 1 ,can set different temps

I just bought this Cosori model and it has been great. I've used it several times now and works like a charm. Very quiet and functional.

Does it really need a fan? I have an old Ronco that works good for fruit, never tried Jerky. I am also a type II like the OP and would love to make my own. If I don't have a slicer can it be hand cut?

Reactions: chopsaw
I have a nesco snack master FD-75. Bought it maybe 5 years ago? Either way, works great. I bough extra trays for it and have used 10 at a time. Made loads of jerky in it

Agree on Excalibur. Got one and made 1,000 of $$$$'s worth of jerky. Only recommendation is, after each 1 1/2 hrs, move trays top to bottom, front to back. It dries in different spots. This dries all spots evenly.

Does it really need a fan? I have an old Ronco that works good for fruit, never tried Jerky.
I used one of those for years . Made a lot of jerky on it . I just had to rotate the trays . Element finally went south on me .
I bought a set of oven jerky trays , and do it in the oven now .
jerky.jpg

Like 2Mac I have the 12 tray commercial model from Cabela's prior to that I had gotten a couple of the oven jerky trays like Chopsaw uses

Does it really need a fan? I have an old Ronco that works good for fruit, never tried Jerky. I am also a type II like the OP and would love to make my own. If I don't have a slicer can it be hand cut?

You may have to rotate the racks around if no fan but it should still work. You can use a knife and hand slice it will just take a little more time

I too had an old RONCO "convection" dehydrator that I did make jerky with. I probably used that for 7 or 8 years, butI had to constantly rotate the trays to get an even dehydration. I sometimes had to wipe out the condensation that formed in the lid of the RONCO...but never with fruit, only with marinated meat.

With the forced air fan in my Open Country dehydrator...the top, middle and bottom trays dry uniformly and much much faster. I even added two trays (now have 7) that I load up with about 5 (wet) pounds of meat and, set on 135F +/-, it is usually ready in about 7 - 10 hours depending on how thick I sliced the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky