gonna try a corned beef tomorrow..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
saw dudes post a few days ago, it looked so darn good that i had to get one.. i have it soaking in water right now, gonna spice it up this evening and slap her in the smoker in the morning..

from what i understand, coriander is a good spice to put on it?

any other suggestions?

THANKS!

I use corriander... garlic powder.... onion powder.... crushed juniper berrys... and lots and lots of black pepper. Get ready to be hooked on this stuff. They are awesome.

That's awesome I hope it turns out well for you. I just use a pickleing spice and Old Bay Seasoning on top of some EVOO. But I think a more "traditional" pastrami spice rub would consist of corriander, black peppercorns, yellow mustard seeds and some garlic. All ground up of course.

Be sure to keep us update with plenty of qview

You're gonna fall in love after doing your first one oonighttrain.
One thing I have started doing on mine is to toast the corainder first, sometimes I toast the black pepper too but LOVE using toasted coriander on it, gives it more depth of flavor, and when toasting coriander it puts off a really nice citrusy smell.
To toast you simply place the seeds in a pan over low-med heat, stirring constantly until they take on a nice brown color.
As with most spices use caution so as not to burn them, but coriander is a bit harder to burn than most other spices.
Afterward just let them cool completely and crush up.
I like to use the coriander, black pepper, and garlic and occasionally a few things here and there.
Here is a link to some of the toasted coriander and pepper rub I did.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...astrami&page=2
Good luck, and don't forget the Qview.

just stopped at the grocery store because i figured 1 corned beef wouldnt be enough..
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
i read the posts about the sodium content so i soaked the 1st one as it had 1150 sodium.. the one i just bought was a different brand and it has only 220??? so, according to what i read, i wont soak this one..

i got ground coriander.. how much should i use? i have no idea what the stuff tastes like..

spiced em up.. heres the details..

unsoaked: garlic powder, ground pepper, old bay, dusting of coriander

soaked: ground pepper, old bay, dusting of coriander, dizzy pick cow lick rub and a coating of yellow mustard..

there in the frig till the morning..

All of these post sounds really good and I have a corned beef in the freezer too. I will tell you listen to how dude tell you how to smoke it because he knows pastrami.

im gonna give dude a run for his money..
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
yeah right...

only thing i need to know now is what wood should i use? i have a few choices on hand:
apple
mesquite
hickory
might have some cherry somewhere..
i also have some cedar planks i could chop up...

I will defer to the Corned Beef guys on the wood. my guess would be to use Hickory but I'll wait and see. I am very interested in this too. There have been a lot of posts about it and I need to do one.

Uhhh, where's the picts of these bad boys?!

Thanks man. A couple of successes does by no means make me a master. But I sure do appreciate the compliment.

I'm no wood expert either. I've done mine over hickory and over cherry. I think I liked the cherry better. Quite often I'll throw a handful of apple chips on here and there through the day. I've got several bags of them so I'm just trying to use them up since I've decided that I like chunks better than the chips.

Go for it oonighttrain and good luck!!!!!
Just pulled mine off the smoker and it took 9 1/2 hours with about a 4 hour stall. You'll be tempted to increase the heat but don't do it, it will work itself up eventually. It's resting now and then into the fridge to finish cooling and firm up for slicing later today. Don't be afraid to ask questions, The Dude and PignIt were a great help to me last night and we had a little fun posting ta boot.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

here they are before they went in the smoke..

threw some apple cider, miller lite and a bit of water in the pan..
apple and hickory chips/chunks..

oonighttrain,

Great Q-View so far. How many lbs. are the two pieces that you are smoking? Looking forward to the final product. Looks like you're on to a great start.

one was just over 3 lbs.. the other im not sure because i threw the wrapper away without paying attention...

they have been in for about 3 hours now, just getting some color to them.. more qview shortly when i open er up and put the thermometers in..

3.5 hours into the smoke.. cant find batteries for one of my thermometers so, all i have is 1, its at 143 degrees..

the cbb on the top rack looks awfully dry??????

Are you spritzing? If not then that could be your problem with it looking dry.
Basically for spritz the easiest is to spritz every hour after the first hour with apple juice.
You can use other liquids but apple juice is just a commonly used one.

6 hours in and the smaller cbb hit 165, i foiled it, waiting for #2 to heat up...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky