Gonna build my first UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

traffictech

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Central Florida
Ok its settled I'm building my first smoker.

I have a drum place over in Zellwood that has all types and sizes.

Gonna send the wife over Thursday to pick up a few 55gal's.

I have a good idea of what I need to do to build a good UDS (basic model) from reading all the posts here, but I want to experiment with some other ideas. I will post as I go with lots of pic's.

My wife thinks I will go nuts with the designs but what can I say I play in traffic for a living I'm already nuts.

I even have ideas for controller cabinet smokers...lol

I would appreciate any comments good or bad.

My first idea is low profile brass bulkhead installed on the bottom to make cleaning easy.

I've used a few on my wife pond and they will be air tight.

That makes since. Thanks.

I've read about with and without doors.

How often would you need to refill the water pan or will it last thru most smokes?

I don't have a UDS made yet, got a barrel drilled and burned out; just need to sand it down, paint and assemble it yet. In my opinion a water pan is not needed, but would rather you here that from some experienced UDS owners instead of listening to my advice on that.

That makes since. Thanks.

I've read about with and without doors.
How often would you need to refill the water pan or will it last thru most smokes?

I don't have a water pan in any of the ones I have built and frankly don't see a need for them. A diffuser plate on the other hand is a nice touch, but not necessary.

I don't have a water pan in any of the ones I have built and frankly don't see a need for them. A diffuser plate on the other hand is a nice touch, but not necessary.
So it wouldnt help keep the meat from drying out?

I remember the old Brinkman (?)  I tried using while "committing crimes against meat" had a water pan or something like that.

All the water pan really does is deflect the heat from going straight up the middle of your barrel.  I made a heat deflector by using a pizza pan and cutting holes in it.   Some people say a water pan takes away from allowing the juices from the meat to fall onto your coals and having the evaporated juices from going back into your meat.   Pretty much a preference thing

All the water pan really does is deflect the heat from going straight up the middle of your barrel.  I made a heat deflector by using a pizza pan and cutting holes in it.   Some people say a water pan takes away from allowing the juices from the meat to fall onto your coals and having the evaporated juices from going back into your meat.   Pretty much a preference thing
been thinking about using a pizza pan with holes for a deflector. How many holes and how big did you make the holes ?

I am actually in the process of typing up step by step instructions of my build.  I think it will be useful to future builders.

For my deflector, I made for rings of circles.   For the outer most circle I used 3/4" holes. I stepped down one bit size for each ring.   There was no science to the number of holes.  I just wanted the larger holes to be on the outside and the smaller holes towards the center.   

The purpose is to defuse the heat from going straight up your pit.  There really isn't anything to it.

Thanks Jim.

Well my got my drums today. Both are painted red inside.

Will a good burn remove the paint or is it best to use airplane stripper?

Someone else jump in on this. Mine was reconditioned and was not painted
My wife called them this morning and told them what we had..They gave her the wrong drums..

They exchanged them both for unlined drums.

In the middle of my burn in now..YEA!

If the rain will only hold off..

So it wouldnt help keep the meat from drying out?
I remember the old Brinkman (?)  I tried using while "committing crimes against meat" had a water pan or something like that.

Keep 24" of separation from the bottom of the charcoal basket and the lowest rack and you will be fine.

Thanks Jim.

Well my got my drums today. Both are painted red inside.
Will a good burn remove the paint or is it best to use airplane stripper?

The lining can be a pain to remove. It takes heat and effort to get it out.

Keep 24" of separation from the bottom of the charcoal basket and the lowest rack and you will be fine.
The lining can be a pain to remove. It takes heat and effort to get it out.
Thanks. the wife exchanged them for unlined ones yesterday.

I did the burn in last night. Gonna go get the hardware this morning.

I was thinking about getting everything set up, adjusted and seasoned before I paint the exterior. Good/bad idea?

I finally got around to upload pictures of my deflector.  Check it out

fdd3d55d_IMG_4086.jpg

7b434ef9_IMG_4087.jpg

Great idea!

Thanks for showing the pic's and all the advice.

I got my uds built  the today.

Doing a season on it now. With any luck I will be doing my first smoke Sunday.....

Dont have a clue what I want to try. Far too many choices..lol

Maybe a pork tenderloin?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky