Gonna be venison SS real soon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
It's archery season here in Missouri and I have a Doctors excuse to use a crossbow for the first time ever.  Got a new stand set up late Friday evening and with the cold front moving through, I decided to play hooky and hunt Saturday morning.  A bit over two hours in, a nice, fat Doe stepped in front of my arrow

I just bought a used Cabela's commercial grinder from a friend, so there WILL be some sausage made soon!

Nice stick! Will be looking for your summer sausage!
Thanks.  I know enough to not rush tracking after the shot, so had to sit in the stand and stare at this for half an hour.  Turns out there was no need to wait as she didn't make it far.  The leaves were wet, so I couldn't hear her crash and didn't want her to jump up if I tracked too soon.

Talk about an adrenaline rush!!!!  I've taken many deer with a rifle, but this my first time hunting archery season!  It's a bit different waiting on one to get within 30 yards or so rather than shoot one at 100 or so with a rifle

Made a perfect shot taking out one lung and the heart.  They are some tough critters, and how they can run so far while dead on their feet still amazes me!

Last edited:

Congrats. I have to wait until MO's firearms, and with my oldest in college, we still have venison from last season in the freezer.
where you at in Mo?  i'm South of Springfield

Awww---You shot Bambi!!!

Just kidding---What did she weigh?

Bear
She was heavy even after field dressing and got a lot heavier the farther I drug her!  I was at least 1/4 mile from the truck and had to call the neighbor to help me load her.

Just a WAG I would say between 100 and 120 pounds field dressed.  She was FAT! 

Thanks.  I know enough to not rush tracking after the shot, so had to sit in the stand and stare at this for half an hour.  Turns out there was no need to wait as she didn't make it far.  The leaves were wet, so I couldn't hear her crash and didn't want her to jump up if I tracked too soon.

Talk about an adrenaline rush!!!!  I've taken many deer with a rifle, but this my first time hunting archery season!  It's a bit different waiting on one to get within 30 yards or so rather than shoot one at 100 or so with a rifle

Made a perfect shot taking out one lung and the heart.  They are some tough critters, and how they can run so far while dead on their feet still amazes me!

Congrats! But next time aim a couple inches back, that shot is hard on meat !

Congrats! But next time aim a couple inches back, that shot is hard on meat !
LOL!  she was standing slightly quartering towards me, so the exit on the other side was behind the other leg.  I've been told by experienced bow hunters to aim for the exit, so that's what I did.

if I had shot farther back I would risk a gut shot on the exit

She was heavy even after field dressing and got a lot heavier the farther I drug her!  I was at least 1/4 mile from the truck and had to call the neighbor to help me load her.

Just a WAG I would say between 100 and 120 pounds field dressed.  She was FAT! 
That's a pretty nice sized Whitetail Doe for PA too!!

I see a mess of Sausage in your future!!

My Son had a chance to get me a Doe on Saturday, but when he pulled back his Peep Sight Tube snapped off (It was dried out & cracked), and scared her away.

I told him it was good it happened with "my Doe", instead of a Trophy Buck for him!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky