Gonna attempt my 2nd brisket ever, tomorrow AM. Any suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

that one guy

Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Wicheetah, KS
Hi all,
I've got a nine pound packer that I'm gonna smoke tomorrow morning. I plan on getting up at 3 am. to get the smoker going.

It's supposed to be cold, I'm thinking about 25 degrees tonight, and tomorrow it's only supposed to get up to 42 degrees and windy.

Have I got a fighting chance? I'm determined, but concerned about the wind and temp--can the Cimmarron handle it? Any, and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

The temps shouldn't be a problem but I'd suggest a wind break the wind can give ya fits. Good luck with it and don't forget the Qview

What he said ^^^, and be patient, the stall will drive ya crazy if ya let it...

Eric

Here's my plan.
I have a 7 pound brisket ready for tomorrow. Try to wake at 3am to get the fire started. Suppose to be windy, high around 35 with snow showers.
No matter the weather, I'll smoke for about 6-7 hours ... then finish in the oven. Thats my M.O. for this time of year. Just place in a 225 degree oven to finish it.
I hope to be done for supper time.

Wind Break as mentioned.....Not sure what kinda smoker you have, but maybe get it good & pre-heated, which may require getting up a couple of times......Depending on when you want to serve it.

I will take my briskets out of the fridge & let them rest at room temp for 1 - 1.5 hour before going into the smoker. I cook to temp so can't remember exact times, but I think it was an estimate of about 1.5 hours per pound? (correct me if I'm wrong someone)

Foil at 160-170* and take to your finishing temperature, depending on if you want to slice or pull.......I usually pull mine & take it to about 200*.

If you get it to the internal temp you want early, pull it off & place the brisket in a small cooler & fill all the "air pocket areas" with towels, newspaper, blankets, etc & close the lid. It will keep HOT for several hours.

Good luck & keep us posted.

the only thing i would add is leave your watch on the dresser. just about every smoke i have ever done either took more time or less time than i calculated
confused.gif
maybe i just suck at math
biggrin.gif

relax, tend your fire, watch the TBS, and have fun.

Good luck lookin forward to some good qview.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've taken a couple of photos--I'll upload them later. I didn't get up at 3, I got up at 4, it's windy and cold. Yeah, I could use a snort of Granny's Rheumatiz Medicine at this point...But it's all good. I seem to have found a decent windless corner where my privacy fence blocks a majority of the wind. Qview to come!

This brisket has been on for 3.5 hrs, cooking between 225, and 250 (mainly around 225) and the brisket's already up to 155 degrees. Does this seem right? Do you guys think that it has risen too fast, temp-wise....I wonder, but what do I know?

I dozed off for about an hour and a half and just began to mop about 10 min ago. Hmmmm. The wind has died down considerably.

Yeah, does anyone know why that happens? Is there a way to remedy it/slow the process down? I don't want it to be done in a couple of hours if I can avoid it, but I don't want it to dry out either?

Oh, by the way, when I woke up at 4 am, I didn't want coffee because I didn't want to stay awake, so I had a beer. I don't think I've ever drank that early unless it's a continuation from the night before--should I be concerned?
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Briskets almost always hit a plateau in the 150 range, unless using high heat-350-300 degree cook.I have wrapped brisket after done for up to 4 hours in comps and its always warm and juicy.I wrap in clear plastic wrap (cling) many others aluminum, and wrap in towel etc. and put in cooler or cold oven,microwave.Brisket cuts can vary wildly in cooking .I have switched to C.A.B.

I don't think they're off, I tested them a couple of weeks ago and they were dead on. I tell ya though, I don't have an electronic one, I just use the dial therms--I keep forgetting to buy one. I have two in there now, and I don't know what's up.

I'm not a rookie to smoking shoulders, ribs, and birds, but briskets are new to me. I've never had this problem before, even with my crappy therms, especially on a 30 degree morning. Grumble...

I think I may know what may have happened....Ok, it was cold this morning and windy. Consequently, my smoker therm was probably more inaccurate than normal, meaning it was probably much much hotter at meat level than at the top where the therm is located.

I don't think that I should have given the smoker therm as much credibility as I did, especially because it was so cold outside. It's usually relatively accurate, but I'm pretty sure I roasted the brisket this time....Grrrrrrr! Is this a possibility?

I Am determined to save this thing! And I'll have the qview to prove it!!! It's been holding steady at around 160 for the last hour (5 hr mark) and I'm gonna foil it at about 170.

That would make sense as I know of no other way for it to reach those temps without higher than normal heat. Mines been on for 9.5 hours and it's sitting at 159.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky