Going to try my first fatty!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimwalter73

StickBurners
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Paulsboro, NJ
I am going to attempt my first fatty this weekend and I have noticed the way everyone wraps them in plastic. I was wondering exactly how long do you have to leave them wraped up before you smoke them? When I start them I will post some Qviews of my progress.
icon_smile.gif

I've left one overnight in fridge, and it held it's shape slightly better while smoking.

The second one I did only stayed in fridge for about an hour, and it also worked just fine

I use the plastic wrap to compress the fatty using a rolling motion while holding the ends which I believe reduces the possibility of a blow out. Leave it wrapped in fridge long enough to firm it up. An hour is probably fine but the times I've made them I think it was closer to 3 or 4 hours in fridge then on to the smoker.
Good luck and welcome to your new addiction.

Don

A lot of folks here use 1 gallon plastic bags for rolling then plastic to firm it up and store for smoking - I just use the plastic wrap for the whole process. One less thing to clean up.

You don't really need any specific amount of time after you wrap it in plastic wrap, that is to seal it up nice and tight.
If you find the sausage a bit too soft after rolling it up just toss it in your freezer for 10-15 minutes before throwing on the smoekr and it will hold shape just fine.

What they all said. Overnight is good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky