Going to HAVE to buy another brisket. Round two.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tallbald

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Southern KY
Well I recently smoked my first whole brisket. I used SPOG rub overnight, and smoked the beauty for about 8 hours with hickory and oak in my Highland offset, gave it a foil wrap with apple juice for three hours to an IT of 205, and let it rest for several hours. Sliced it the next morning in 1/4 inch slices I froze in bags enough for 2 sandwiches. Since then I've had a bad (good) habit of microwaving a serving many times for a sandwich with Miracle Whip on rye. Sometimes with a little lettuce.
These sandwiches are stunning and wonderful. Beautiful meat marbling, tender and flavorful. Wow. My stack of bags is measurably smaller friends. And my email ad from Gordon Food Service has the same choice briskets on sale again for $2.89 a pound. Hmmm. Don.

My mouth is watering. I'm ready for a taste. Sounds like success and even more to come thanks to GFS. At what temp did you smoke her?

Your making me hungry for brisket!
The last packer I bought I turned the point into pastrami & the flat into corned beef.
Al

Mmmmmm it does sound good. Too bad Costco went back up to $3.29 a pound for Prime Briskets, they were at $2.69 for a few months :(

You should taste the heaven a brisket is with about 7-8 hours of Lumberjack 100% Mesquite pellets from an AMNPS!!!! No harshness at all from the AMNPS producing pure Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) with 100% Mesquite pellets.

Try to get perfect smoke from Mesquite wood and you might have some problems and generate too much overpowering smoke but WOW if you can get it right I am convinced there is no better smoke for beef like Brisket, Chucks, and Beef Ribs!!! :)

Oh and do about 60-70% Mesquite and 30-40% Alder and smoked Meatloaf and wow again!

Well I smoked at 250 to 270 the entire time. I was pleased with the extra intake vent I installed in the firebox, which helped greatly. Interestingly, when the brisket was "fresh" out of the smoker it tasted a little too salty. But resting and the freezer for some reason toned it down perfectly. I must watch myself though. It's so quick and easy to microwave three slices and grab a slice of rye bread to make a snack. So delicious though. And I owe the success to folks here who helped me in the process! I enjoy just looking at the marbling when I take it from the freezer. Almost a honeycomb pattern. Don.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky