Going to build a UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heatmaker

Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Maine
Ok, I have done alot of reading on UDS builds here. The one thing I have not come across is what can you do if you have a closed head drum and don't have a dome lid?

Also, how many racks do you guy's put in and aprox. distance apart from the basket and each other?

With a domed lid, you'll usually see two cook racks. Assuming the bottom of your charcoal basket is 3" off the bottom (which is pretty common) the first cook grate is 24" above the charcoal grate and the top rack is usually an inch or so from the top of the drum. This usually works out to 6" or 8" between cook racks.

Dave

Hi HM
If I may suggest, you can look at my post. I'm facing the same situation - closed drum and no dome. it is more labour to put in, but I believe that it have some advantages. I'll be glad to provide more details if needed.

Many people buy a complete cheap grill, like a Uniflame from Walmart for $40, and use the parts to make your UDS. You'll have your dome lid, one cooking grate, and the charcoal grate can be used for the base of your basket. If you want wheels on your UDS, you can use those, too.

You don't have to have the dome lid right away, you can add it and another rack anytime later, one rack will hold quite a lot, just use the flat lid that comes with it.

Thanks fellas, I think I'm gonna order up that Uniflame rig from Wally World.

If you have a Big Lots store in your area they also sell a cheap bbq pit for about $25-30. Both the lid and bottom work well for domes on a UDS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky