Going Pellet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BurntWeenie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Tampa, Florida
So I have a Weber Genesis Gold going on 20 years old. It is in great shape since I keep it clean and it has always been in a garage or now a covered porch (Florida). I grill 2-3 times a week. Steaks, burgers etc. I had a cheap smoker when I lived in the Northeast but it was a hassle to tend. Now I'm looking to get a pellet grill. Something smaller since it is only me and my wife and the occasional gathering with friends. This would allow me to now cook brisket etc. From reading here it looks like pellet grills can be used all the time with little maintenance beyond what I already do to keep my propane grill clean. And the only reason to keep the propane grill is for if we lose power due to a hurricane.

Check out Rec Teq. they have several sizes. I have the RT700 and love it. I too cook for two most of the time. Weber Genesis is a nice companion grill

I have the Rec Teq Bullseye and I like it for what it is. I prefer my PitBoss though. But to be honest I don't usually use either of them for grilling purposes. For that charcoal is much better imo.

I have a Yoder YS640 which I love. The new ones come with a Fireboard controller. Heavy conctruction and great result s. They also make a smaller YS480.

Reactions: Flatrate
BurntWeenie BurntWeenie what is your budget? I would start there and look at all that fall in or close to that number. you can go about as high as you can imagine and too low will just cause you problems. Also look at features/option you want and or must have. Ive had my rec teq for over 3 years, back when I was shopping the top contenders were Yoder, MAC, and Rec Teq. I chose the rec req and have no regrets at all. A lot of my decision was based on reviews, features, and budget.

BurntWeenie BurntWeenie what is your budget? I would start there and look at all that fall in or close to that number. you can go about as high as you can imagine and too low will just cause you problems. Also look at features/option you want and or must have. Ive had my rec teq for over 3 years, back when I was shopping the top contenders were Yoder, MAC, and Rec Teq. I chose the rec req and have no regrets at all. A lot of my decision was based on reviews, features, and budget.
Around $1000. Still reading reviews etc

So I have a Weber Genesis Gold going on 20 years old. It is in great shape since I keep it clean and it has always been in a garage or now a covered porch (Florida). I grill 2-3 times a week. Steaks, burgers etc. I had a cheap smoker when I lived in the Northeast but it was a hassle to tend. Now I'm looking to get a pellet grill. Something smaller since it is only me and my wife and the occasional gathering with friends. This would allow me to now cook brisket etc. From reading here it looks like pellet grills can be used all the time with little maintenance beyond what I already do to keep my propane grill clean. And the only reason to keep the propane grill is for if we lose power due to a hurricane.
Welcome to the site. I am not a BBQ expert by anybody’s measure. I've been smoking and grilling meats for about 40 years, but just for family meals. I have a Camp Chef pellet grill and use it for almost all of my smoked meat tasks, like ribs, pulled pork, brisket and an occasional fish. I still use my Bradley smoker for most of my fish and jerky. I also use my gasser for dogs, burgers, steaks, etc. Pellet grills aren't nearly as convenient for burgers/steaks as gassers. And my Sous Vide cooker with a quick pan sear gets most of dinner meal trade. The pellet grill gets the nod for ribs, butts, & briskets. I would never consider doing all my grilling/smoking choirs on just a pellet grill. I also wouldn't be without one in my stable.

And don't forget about the Masterbuilt Gravity Flow series.
Has the same set-it-and-forget-it features as a pellet grill with the addition of charcoal and your choice of wood for added flavor!

Reactions: BigW.
Suggest you look at Weber Smokefire. Warranty and CS are second to none. I have a Smokefire EX6 for almost a year now. Grills at 600f and can slow smoke at 180-190 using Smokeboost. And it can do a killer brisket. For the two of you and occasional friends the EX4 might be your better bet, but I like the added room the EX6 has

Reactions: chopsaw
Let me second the Camp Chef choice. They are probably the easiest pellet grill to clean. You can dump the pellets easily if you want to swap to another species and you can dump the ash from the firebox before every cook. Both by just a pull on a knob.

Suggest you look at Weber Smokefire. Warranty and CS are second to none. I have a Smokefire EX6 for almost a year now. Grills at 600f and can slow smoke at 180-190 using Smokeboost. And it can do a killer brisket. For the two of you and occasional friends the EX4 might be your better bet, but I like the added room the EX6 has
100 % agree . The Gen 1 got some really bad press , and that formed people's opinions . They addressed the issues , lowered the price , added some options and gave a 100 day money back offer . That and looking through rexster314 rexster314 EX6 threads I went ahead and bought the EX4 . Had 1 issue , that was my fault . Other than that I love it . Makes great food . Like any of them there is a learning curve .
It cleans really easy . Has the open design with Flavor bars , which make it great for grilling too .
So it cleans almost the same as my Genesis 310 . I use a drip pan for long cooks , but I do that in all my grills / smokers . Don't count it out just because of the reviews .

I think you will like your choice! I also have a 18 year old genesis gold as well, it’s on its third innards but still going strong, also have the RT 1250. The RT and Weber Gold gets lots of use.....which is saying something because I have a few other nice smokers/grills. By the way just LOVE the 40lb hopper!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky