Goin Big this time!!!!!!! With Q-VIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skrooge

Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Started off 2 weeks ago with a masterforge electric smoker and fell in love with smoking.  Took the thing back because of faulty heating element and got the MES 30 with digital controls and built in meat probe
yahoo.gif
(can you say addicted) well its seasoned now and just put on 2 butts for tomorrow, went brave and invited half neighborhood over.  Better not mess up now lol.

Here they are after injection and first rub

0b2f8fc8_002.jpg

And now in the smoker with second rub down (same rub both times)

1f9f3286_005.jpg

Smoking with Apple chips.  Hopefully got this timed right to eat after church tomorrow.  Hopefully be ready to wrap around 5 then ready to rest around 11. (goin to have to sneak home between sunday school and service to check then sneak back in
driving.gif
)

Skrooge, those are nice looking Butts,and having the bone  IN  helps with your knowing it is done.

Be sure you give yourself 1.5hrs. per pound of pork weight (not total of both, but an average of both) and once you have closed the door of your Smoker,leave it shut for the alloted time you figured. The Butts should be very close to done unless you have a long stall (that's when the Collegen and connective tissues are melting) , when it gets through the stall, the bone will almost slide out of the Butt.

I never wrap my meat as I enjoy the Bark and like the flavor of the smoke.Butts are a great way to learn your Smoker and good enough to satisfy until you get braver and go for a Brisket.

OH, and give yourself a couple hrs. extra time so if a stall does occur,you'll be ahead of the game; remember to keep the lid to the Smoker closed from the time you place the meat in, until your time calculation is past;otherwise you will lose all the Love you put into it...

Hope this helps and...

Thanks for the info.  This site is great and full of helpful people.  I think this time I'm goin to wrap one Butt and leave the other alone for a side by side comparison.  Only real work now and might lead to long night is I'm burning through wood chips like every 45mins or so.  Guess I'm goin to have to break down and buy one of those AMNS trays. 

You might also want a couple digital probe thermometers so you can see what the internal temps of the meat is... Always go by meat temp not time when determining when it is done...

This is an addictive hobby. Cant wait to see the results

Well its 4am and just checkd they are sittn at 165.  Thats 7 1/2hrs in and seems everything is right on time.  @Beer B Q this smoker came with a built in meat probe.  I love it, just push a button to check temp but also have a digital in the other piece of meat.  I did however check the smoker's inside temp on the digital screen with a reg digital thermometer and it was dead on.  Got lucky there.  Decided not to wrap.  When opened door to wrap one they were pretty moist and I want more bark so added some more chips, opened vent up, spritz with apple juice and now back to bed.  Just a side note when pulling a rack out in the dark half asleep becareful not to bump against it with no shirt on, now have my first BBQ battle wound
eek.gif

I can almost taste those !!!  They look awesome !!! - I have tomorrow off from work and plan to smoke up a butt and some ribs. 

Can't wait -- Thank you for sharing.

Well 6:30am and meat is 167 guess we at plateau stage.  Lucky enough I put up a portable gazebo yesterday because of rain chance and sure enough its pouring right now.  I live in a townhome and neighbors thought I was crazy since gazebo takes up whole backyard between house and fence, but they did come out to see where the "smell" was coming from.  I say I may be making some new friends today. 

Looking Good!

Hint: Cover your water pan and lower drip pan with foil, and you'll save a lot of time at clean up

How about some finished pics?

Todd

Only real work now and might lead to long night is I'm burning through wood chips like every 45mins or so.  Guess I'm goin to have to break down and buy one of those AMNS trays. 

You'll never regret your AMNS purchase.  Being able to snooze for 7 or 8 hours is a huge plus!  My new A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker just arrived the other day & can't wait to give it a workout later today.

Well its 9am and the stall period must be over (I really hope so) temp is up to 172.  Heading to church goin sneak back to check again around 11am.  Everyone is coming by between 1 and 2 so fingers crossed I don't have to entertain long before eating.  Starting to learn that I'm on the meats time not my time.  Didn't expect the stall period to be so long but will be well worth it in the end I'm sure.  Promise pics as soon as I open the door.  As for lining with aluminium foil I decided I was in a hurry and didn't do it.  Last time I looked inside I came to realize that you can never be in that much of a hurry lol.  Going to have plenty of scrubbing to do later, funny how everyone leaves during clean up time.

11am and its at 185 so cranked up the heat from 225 to 250 to help it along. Opened the door just wide and long enough to insert another digital thermometer into the second butt just to make sure of temp. The butt was like a heap of jello so soft and juicy. It looked so good can't wait to take pics.  Looks like I might make it but not goin to rush it, folks will just have to wait lol. 

Well it finished right on time.  Wish I could have let it rest a little more but was still a big hit and very good and moist.

8f301b91_0022.jpg

And after some burnt fingers, really have to find some gloves. 

d32d47e5_004.jpg

Really need to say thanks to this forum, I could never have done this without the info found here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky