Gmg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmg

Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Granite Falls Washington
Hello all, I am new to the SMF and really happy that I came accross it! I live in the state of Washington and benefit from the bounty of seafood here. I can smoke a salmon to die for but when it comes to meat, well I struggle a little-lot I do OK with ribs but pork buts and larger cuts of meat I seem to have issues with. Every time I cook a pork roast it tastes and feels like a bad ham. Maybe I just dont take enough time or brine it right, I dont know. I suspect that I use too much heat and not enough time, but now that I have found this, I am looking forward to better results. I use a Brinkman upright smoker with 2 racks. The bottom rack has a liquid bowl under it which I usually fill with the brine and water. Be'ing in Washington and smoking fish and oysters I generally use alderwood. I do also hve an assortment of fruit woods such as apple and cherry. Thank you for reading my post and I look forward to learning much from pitmasters.

GMG - glad you joined us at SMF. I've been to Seattle once, and fell in love with that city and the Pacific NW in general.

As a newbie to the hobby of smoking I'd suggest signing up for the free 5-day eCourse that's offered through the site. It's 5 emails that have all the information necessary to get that Brinkmann off to the right start. Sounds as if you have the same type of smoker that I, and many others on the site, have (referred to as ecb) and we love them!

Throw those questions out there and again, welcome!

Welcome to SMF! Don't be afraid to ask questions. The friendly folk here will make answer.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Welcome to SMF! WHat temps are you smoking at? Butts require quite a while to do right, larger ones can go 15 hours or longer. Maybe you are "rushing" them with too high a temp. Hard to say from the info you gave. But it'll get figgered out here for sure!

Welcome to the SMF!! As has been mentioned already, lots of folks here have the same setup as you and can offer up advice to help you along. I've never smoked salmon or for that matter fish....can you tell me any secrets to smoking good salmon?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky