GMG Davey Crockett owners ?'s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawinredneck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Wichita KS
So I've realized bigger isn't always better! I love my offset, but fuel consumption is crazy! I smoked a pork shoulder last night, yup, 11lbs of charcoal a bunch of oak and hickory chunks!
I'm in no hurry, so I want to chose wisely.
But seeing the videos, then seeing it in person, man is it small! A lot smaller than I'd figured. So how much are you owners really able to cook on them? I keep hearing it's great for two, it's great for two! Well, what about a family of three? What if I decide to load it up, go to the lake and cook for six?
I'm sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but I figure it's better to ask people that have really used them to figure out what is a realistic expectation from these little things, or if my money would be better spent on something larger.
I can get a Q3 that is larger for the same price, but I just can't bring myself to spend money on anything that is sponsored by Myron Mixon, man, I just can't stand that man for some reason!

You might want to describe what sort of stuff you cook.  Pork butts for six people is a bit different from chicken wings for six people.  Another factor is what other stuff you might be cooking at the same time such as corn or bbq beans or marinated veggies.

I have a Daniel Boone and find it's a good size.  Although I usually cook for two, I'm also cooking extra to go in the freezer for quick weeknight suppers and to supply lunches to take to work.  I probably could get by with a Davey Crockett but I'd probably be wishing I'd gone with the DB simply because of the volume I cook even when "cooking for two". 

BTW, also have a look at added racks/trays such as with a Bull Racks system: http://www.earthworkssupply.com/categories/BBQ-Products/Bull-Rack/

Honestly not sure what I'd cook for six. Say eight burgers and warm up a couple cans of beans? I don't see cooking corn for a group that large as realistic. I think a pork butt, or three shoulders would be plenty for a group that size. Nor do I think I'll steam up five pounds of potatoes and grill that many burgers at the same time.
I'm mainly just trying to find out what owners are able to cook on them. Is it mainly just a grill for two, or is it capable of larger outings on occasion?

I just want to make you aware, if you're not already, that a pellet grill will not produce the same smoke flavor profile as your offset. If you have the chance I'd suggest trying some food cooked on a pellet grill before going that route. I came from a cabinet smoker and at first couldn't detect any smoke flavor in the food cooked on my pellet grill. Now that I've gotten used to it, I like the more subtle flavor for most meals. But some folks coming from other types of smokers are disappointed in the "lack" of smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I did know that, I was thinking an AMNPS would help subsidize the smoke flavor if I needed to.
But thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I did know that, I was thinking an AMNPS would help subsidize the smoke flavor if I needed to.
But thanks for the heads up.
AMNPS will take up a lot of room in the DC, plus they are hard to keep lit in low O2 environments. Consider using one the tubes instead - they are more compact and the larger hole size allows more O2.

I realise this topic is a bit old, but haven't seen a definitive answer yet, so thought I would wade in.

I have a Davey Crockett, which I bought to supplement my existing Traeger Lil Tex.

In August, I took the DC on holiday with me, and was managing to feed 9 adults and 5 children. It was more work than on my Lil Tex, moving stuff around and the like, but it wasn't hard.

A couple of pictures might help.

A couple of pork shoulders.

Here is some greek BBQ we did - pork for filling pitta bread, some sausage. I was grilling precooked pitta bread, one at a time in the front - less than 30 secs each side, then pass to the cook to fill.

I can get 20 burgers cooking at the same time (5 across and 4 deep) - could do more with a second shelf (which I haven't made, yet)

Hope that gives you some idea.

The DC will cook much mopre than "just for two". I recently purchased one for portability since I have a 6 year old DB and a new Memphis Pro. I easily holds 2 butts, full packer or a number of steaks. It also, to my surprise, puts out a nice smoke even at higher temps of 275 to 325. I am glad I grabbed it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky