GMG Daniel Boone issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have you ever checked the temp side to side since you made this tool? In my cook last weekend I got the temp perfect side to side. After I opened and closed the cover I could never get it to be close, eventually I was 100 degrees higher on the right side.
usually no more than 10-15 degrees off from side to side. Make sure you put the probes 4 to 6 inches away from the sides as most heat comes up at the very ends of the grates. also make sure the temp sensor mounted in the left side is clean and not impeded by foil or anything. Since installing a new sensor in mine, it is behaving nicely

I have had my GMG Crockett for three months and have had zero problems.

I use it every week, at least. Once I started using good pellets it has worked as I hoped it would.

I have had my GMG Crockett for three months and have had zero problems.

I use it every week, at least. Once I started using good pellets it has worked as I hoped it would.

Just curious what is considered good pellets. I've been using the gmg pellets and the traeger brand. I also just got a bag of pit boss mesquite but I haven't used them yet.

I had a back burn to the hopper box. Gmg replaced the auger assemble which is huge. I don't know what caused it. Its set up as per the directions. Only thing I do now when I'm finished, is dump the remaining pellets in the hopper back into the bag, step down temps in 75 degree increments until it stabilizes at 150 then go to fan mode.

Just curious what is considered good pellets. I've been using the gmg pellets and the traeger brand. I also just got a bag of pit boss mesquite but I haven't used them yet.

I had a back burn to the hopper box. Gmg replaced the auger assemble which is huge. I don't know what caused it. Its set up as per the directions. Only thing I do now when I'm finished, is dump the remaining pellets in the hopper back into the bag, step down temps in 75 degree increments until it stabilizes at 150 then go to fan mode.

Lumberjack, for what you get in terms of price and availability, are tough to beat.

Some would argue that Pit Boss pellets are an excellent buy too. It's very hard to find anything bad about them.

CookinPellets Perfect Mix is also good, but a bit more pricey than the Lumberjack and the Pit Boss.

Just curious what is considered good pellets.

First bag was Treager Blend, $20 for 20 pounds at Home Depot. Was okay. Then 20 pounds of Pit Boss blend from Lowe's for $10. Not very flavorful.

Read a lot on the internet about pellets. Decided on Lumberjack.

Went to a grill store and talked to the lady. She said don't use blends. Use pure wood. Recommended oak. She says Lumberjack is a great pellet. I bought a 20 pounder for $16. Excellent flavor with minimal ash, although I vacuum out the smoker after every use.

She also told me I was setting the temperature too high. I was cooking at 225° like a normal Weber Kettle which is what I was used to. She said for the smokiest flavor, use the grill at it's lowest setting, in my case its 150°.

First bag was Treager Blend, $20 for 20 pounds at Home Depot. Was okay. Then 20 pounds of Pit Boss blend from Lowe's for $10. Not very flavorful.

Read a lot on the internet about pellets. Decided on Lumberjack.

Went to a grill store and talked to the lady. She said don't use blends. Use pure wood. Recommended oak. She says Lumberjack is a great pellet. I bought a 20 pounder for $16. Excellent flavor with minimal ash, although I vacuum out the smoker after every use.

She also told me I was setting the temperature too high. I was cooking at 225° like a normal Weber Kettle which is what I was used to. She said for the smokiest flavor, use the grill at it's lowest setting, in my case its 150°.

Did she also tell you that running it that low could make it prone to flameouts?

Nope. Never mentioned it. I haven't had it happen but now I'm going to be worried about it. Thanks.

I actually don't run it that low except for the time I smoked some cheddar and swiss. I usually go a little hotter, 170° because I am impatient.

Nope. Never mentioned it. I haven't had it happen but now I'm going to be worried about it. Thanks.

I actually don't run it that low except for the time I smoked some cheddar and swiss. I usually go a little hotter, 170° because I am impatient.
Not a good idea to smoke meats too long at 170°. You run a risk of bigger hunks of meat not getting above the 140° danger zone in 4 hours. Many of us smoke at a lower temp like 165-170° for an hour or so to amp up the smoke level, but always boost the temp to 225° or more to push through the danger zone before 4 hours is up

Reactions: Stpat
I've had my Daniel Boone (non-wifi) for a couple years now. Other than experimenting with positioning the heat shield, I haven't had any problems with it.

I have a gmg Daniel Boone and love it have made everything from whole chicken, turkeys ,beef brisket, steak ,burgers and more, no major problems so far other than a slight temperature variation ,my drip plates have the holes in so If I line up the holes it lets the heat through and grills like a regular bbq great for steaks ,My natural gas bbq hardly gets used any more I also use the lumberjack pellets better price point and have had nothing bad to say about them I have also used Louisiana (Tennessee whiskey barrel pellet) awesome smell and taste

Reactions: Jabiru
I have owned the smaller Davy Crockett and now own a Daniel Boone. When I first got the DC about 5 years ago, I had all the regular problems at the start. GMG great CS sent me new boards, thermostat and blowers, then it worked great! As it got smaller because my family got bigger, I upgraded to the Daniel Boone Prime. I have not had a single issue with it other than the pellet clean out door (great idea) is not waterproof, so every-time it rains or snows, my pellets get wet and I have to use the clean out door to empty the hopper. GMG solution to this was to put a piece of Plexiglas over the hopper to act as a umbrella. Meh. that's a dumb fix for me. I'll find something that works. other than that, we use it regularly for pretty much everything, and there are no other problems.
I absolutly love the WiFi (especially in server mode). Overall my experience has been great and Id give it 4.5/5 stars all day!

I have not had a single issue with it other than the pellet clean out door (great idea) is not waterproof, so every-time it rains or snows, my pellets get wet and I have to use the clean out door to empty the hopper. GMG solution to this was to put a piece of Plexiglas over the hopper to act as a umbrella. Meh. that's a dumb fix for me. I'll find something that works. other than that, we use it regularly for pretty much everything, and there are no other problems.
I absolutly love the WiFi (especially in server mode). Overall my experience has been great and Id give it 4.5/5 stars all day!
Dairy, do you have a cover for it? I've never experienced any moisture issues with mine covered.

Dairy, do you have a cover for it? I've never experienced any moisture issues with mine covered.
I don't, I might have to try something like that, however that would not allow me to start it from my phone, which is a feature I use alot. I was also thinking to caulk it shut, as the only time I use that is for when my pellets are wet. I'm one of 'those guys' who use heating pellets. I never have a need to change flavor so that door won't be needed.

I bought my DB 2.5 years ago. It replaces the 8 year old MES 40. I have had a few problems, but
nothing major. Customer service has been very helpful and had excellent tips to improve operation. The wifi has been fabulous.
The only issue I have is lack of wood smoke flavor. When I bought the grill, they gave me 40 pounds of the competition blend. Then I tried Pit Boss hickory. Still not much flavor. Added the AMAZN tube, still no good flavor. So I bought some Traeger pellets on sale at Costco. No change in the flavor profile. Yesterday, I bought some Camp Chef hickory pellets. Will try them soon. Today, I will go to
Dick's and get a bag of Lumberjack competition blend.
I plan to have a good time smoking cheese, pork loin, salmon, and meatloaf.
FWIW...the grill itself has worked well. I knew beforehand that the smoke flavor profile would not be as good as the MES. I am disappointed that using the tube hasn't helped much.
I am hoping that the Camp Chef and Lumberjack pellets add flavor.

When not in use I keep a cover on mine and unplugged. Don’t want something to start when it shouldn’t. If it’s raining or snow, I use a patio umbrella to cover the hopper and electronics area - works great!

I am hoping that the Camp Chef and Lumberjack pellets add flavor

If you are looking for more smoke flavor, then stay away from blended pellets like Camp Chef hickory. There are no better than any of the others you've tried as they are mostly made from alder or oak. Lumberjack competition are good pellets, but again, they are a blend. Go with Lumberjack 100% hickory and see if that helps. That's all I use.

I knew beforehand that the smoke flavor profile would not be as good as the MES

That's subjective. You can certainly get stronger smoke flavor, but I find the smoke flavor from the pellet grill is as good as you can get from the MES.

I've had my GMG Daniel Boone for 7 years. Needless to say i've cooked lots of Ribs, Steaks, burgers, pork chops, butts, etc on this thing. The only problem I had was I had to rewire my fan where the wires got pulled loose. It still works to this day and just smoked some tenderloins. I am looking at upgrading and I'm currently looking at Rec Tec 590 or CampChef woodwind wifi 36.

Well, as. Rec Tec 590 owner, heres a definite vote of confidence in it. I am thoroughly satisfied with ours. Not a bad thing to say about it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky