Glad to be here.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ranjer59

Original poster
Hello all!

Been lurking on the forums for a bit- liked what I've seen.  Decided that being a member might not be a bad thing.

Me? I live in the Dallas /Fort Worth area.  Married for over 30 years - 2 kids have their own families but still live close by.  Got bit by the BBQ Bug about 3 years ago- wish I had started earlier in life.  Always had a grill of some sort - propane or charcoal- but Smoking is a relatively new thing for me.  Still have/love/ use a 22.5 Weber kettle I got off CL for 30.00.  I've been on many websites trying to learn and better my hobby- this one is a wealth of good information and I'm happy to be a part of it.

I started out with a UDS- and loved the practically "set it and forget it" cooks and the results had me hooked.  Then built a MiniWsm (who hasn't?) Love that thing, then a 30 gallon 'hook and cook' style cooker which is a chicken cooking machine! 

Then I got the hankering for either a home built electric or propane cabinet style cooker.  Made a dandy one from 2 sheet of 1/2" thick  Hardibacker board, a few odd pcs of 1" angle, a 10,000 btu burner and some old modified SS oven racks and a skillet- and a LOT of nuts and bolts.  That one was FUN- turns out  some rocking pulled pork.  Gets about 2hours /lb of propane.. running at 300 degrees- what's not to like?

I'm one of those who have more patience /time than money.  And I like to build- not having a welder or a truck leads me into the strange builds... like the Hardibacker cabinet.  My "Concrete Bunker" I call it.

Now I'm looking at another cabinet build- this one in steel.   I will have to break down and find a welder I suppose.  Never welded- but I'm pretty handy- rather be handsome but that's another issue all unto it self.

I'm a long way from knowing everything- but the family and friends seem to like what I turn out.  (yeah- I know- you don't get many complaints when the BBQ is free)

Welcome from the Finger Lakes of New York. As a reformed lurker you already know that the folks around here are first rate and that there is a wealth of kowledge to tap into.

Have a great day.

Lance

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a nice cloudy day in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome from SC. It sounds like you would make me a great next door neighbor. I have some great ideas, but at my age I don't have the stamina to get them done. You will like it here, as you have already seen. There are lots of folks here who are always ready to share their ideas and tips. All you have to do is ask.

Good luck and keep on smokin', Joe

Love that thing, then a 30 gallon 'hook and cook' style cooker which is a chicken cooking machine! 
Welcome to the forum....Ranjer........I am really curious to see a few pictures of your 30 gallon hook and cook cooker.....we all do things a little different and I would love to see what your imagination did that mine hasn't!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky