Glad I found you guys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ssb

Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Been reading this sight for a couple weeks and learning alot. New to smoking. I have a Gas Char Griller 3001 and added a side fire box. Made a charcoal basket, extended the exhaust, and did the E-Course(great INFO thanks). I like having the ease of the gas grill and the smoker when I want it. Anyone else running this setup?
I've smoked a couple whole brined chickens, ribs, corn, asparagus with help from this forum. So far so good but hoping to get better.
Couple questions:
Leaving food out to get room temp before smoking. How long can you leave it out and not worry about food turning, couple hours?

I made a charcoal basket and first time I used it with minnion method it was hard to get temp down to low 200's. I think its because I put too many lit coals on to begin with, could that do it?

Water Pans-I've read about water pans and heard about putting them under your food and even over your coal basket to help maintain temp and extra humidity, thoughts?

Last questions for now,I've been using the trader joes briquets and the minnion method. After 5-6 hrs if I need to add brickets do I add lit or unlit brickets to the basket. I reqad somewhere else that the traders joes brand is pretty good, thoughts?

Once agian glad to have found you and great tips. Plan on doing beercan chix, ribs, ABT(first time), and a chub (first time) this weekend for the wifes family. Just jumpin it and learning as a go.
THANKS

First welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us.

Couple questions:
Leaving food out to get room temp before smoking. How long can you leave it out and not worry about food turning, couple hours?
There is a 40-140 in under 4 hour rule that most of us use. Basically says to get the meat from 40 degrees to 140 degrees in under 4 hours. Personally I go from the fridge to the smoker or fridge, rub then smoker

I made a charcoal basket and first time I used it with minnion method it was hard to get temp down to low 200's. I think its because I put too many lit coals on to begin with, could that do it?
That could be it usually it takes people a couple times to adjust things and get the method down. The other thing it could be is you may need to spread the coals out a little more so they catch a little slower

Water Pans-I've read about water pans and heard about putting them under your food and even over your coal basket to help maintain temp and extra humidity, thoughts?
Many smokers come with water pans and some don't try both ways and see which you prefer you can just use a disposable aluminum roasting pan to hold some water

Last questions for now,I've been using the trader joes briquets and the minnion method. After 5-6 hrs if I need to add brickets do I add lit or unlit brickets to the basket. I reqad somewhere else that the traders joes brand is pretty good, thoughts?
Honestly don't know about this one as I don't use briquettes
biggrin.gif

Good luck with the up coming smokes and have fun

Welcome SSB - lots of really nice folks here
Post up some of your qview when you get a chance

Scarbelly, I see your in SoCal. Where do you get your Meat, found any good butchers.
SSB

Wuz we lost? Well heck then thanks for finding us. Welcome to the SMF.

Don't know about trader joe's. We can't get them , I use kingsford successfully. For lump I use Royal oak because of its consistancy.

It's so easy to start your coals with a charcoal chimney to add lit coals at the end thats what I do. If you don't have a charcoal chimney you are doing it wrong.
biggrin.gif

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Yep got a chimney, sounds easy enough.

First off welcome to SMF. You already know how good the place is so I'm glad you came out of the darkness and saw the light. We are always glad to have new people here cause they might just look at things and little differant then we do and that always make for some really differant way to do things. I hope you have the how to's and what if's on the whole Qview thing and if not go here:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
and it will show you how to post pictures so we can see what your smoking on and with and what your smoking. So hurry and go get something to smoke.
Welcome To The Addiction

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse, you can find it here it's "FREE"...5 Day e Course

Everyone here enjoys seeing the qview so be sure to post plenty of pics... Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to photobucket I always use the Large img setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

Where are you in So Cal - I am in Fallbrook just so of Camp Pendleton
but lived in the South Bay for 40 years so I know both areas - Let me know and I will try to help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky