Giving spare ribs another shot...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaynik

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Arnold, MD
My wife and I watched Bobby Flay's throwdown last night and two episodes were ribs. She told me she wants some bbq, so off to Sam's we went this morning. I grabbed a cryovac pack of spares (2.29/lb) and headed back home to get started.

Trimmed two of the racks st louis style and left 1 whole. (Let my wife in on the chef's secret pieces about half way through.) I rubbed the ribs down with Famous Dave's Rub which I got free at an event at work where they catered. I like it more than I thought I would. Based on what we saw on the shows last night, they were sauced ribs (not usually my thing), so I also used Famous Dave's bbq sauce which my wife seems to like.

I'm using both hickory and cherry for smoke and some lump charcoal (qik joe). Had great weather for it. I used the 3-2-1 method for these spares which worked out great. I poured a little AJ/bourbon mix in the foil phase and that worked nicely. Ribs were very tender and I think these may have turned out better than other spares I have done. Success!!!
ec721ed9_vbattach18451.jpg

727039c5_vbattach18452.jpg

4db00335_vbattach18453.jpg

72bc2c3a_vbattach18450.jpg

Looks great to me. Thanks for the pics.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky