Ghargrill cast iron grates

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by ikinya6, Dec 28, 2006.

1. My Char-Griller has the cast iron grill plates. When I was purchasing it, I thought, how cool is that! I love using cast iron cooking ware and know how to take care of it, keeping it seasoned and all.

I seasoned them like I was used to with cast iron, and in accordance with the instructions. When I was done cooking, I coated them again with cooking oil, and let them sit in the heat to set. But after a couple of weeks of not using it, I found that they had rust on them. So I scrubbed them down, and re-seasoned them. Cooked on them, wiped them down (no soap, of course), and then coated and heated them to set the oil.

After a couple of weeks, guess what... rust again.

This time, I lightly dusted off the rust, wiped them down and oiled them really good, then went ahead and cooked. This time I didn't clean them off, just sprayed real well with oil and put it away. There is stilla little rust showing up, but where I have been cooking, there is a build up of blackened oils. I just figured I'd rather cook on that than on the rust, so I have been doing that. Every now and then, though, some of it flakes off and gets in the meat.

I was hoping I could get those grates to look like my frying pan cooking surface and avoid the rust.

Any ideas?

2. Your problem is probably condensation, which you don’t have in your pot drawer in the kitchen. I had a grill with cast iron grates, and I kept them in the kitchen after I cleaned them til I had a real good buildup on them, before considered putting them back on the grill. Thats my 2¢ :roll:

3. Thanks, Carl. Seems to make sense. I'll try that.

4. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have used hard suet type of fat on the grates. It works fine with out the build up of grease on the sides of the grill

5. mrgrumpy

mrgrumpy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

NC
    I have so far had no problems with mine. I keep it outside, uncovered, and oiled.

After cooking, I leave mine as is. Coated with the cooked meat fat. Before using, I heat the cooker up real hot, brush it real good with the wire brush, and spray with oil before using. That is basically all I do with my CI grates. After using my SFB, I let it cool, and just spray it with veggie oil using a spray bottle.

I know a lot of people cover their cookers. I do not. In my opinion, covering them just asked for condensation, and rust. Wherever the cover rests, whenever there is a temperature change there can be a chance of condensation. If it is not dried, it will just sit there wet, and then start to rust. When it is uncovered, it will dry.

Think of it as a wood pile. What happens when you cover a wood pile as tightly as a cooker is. It does not let out the moisture and the next thing you know, you have mold and mildew. Not enough air flow. The same with a cooker, no air flow = rust.

Bill

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

You might try poping a few holes in the plastic cover so it can breathe and dry out.

7. Thanks for all the advice. I took them out and scraped them down real good, rinsed them off and dried them. Then I brushed them with cooking oil and put them in the oven on about 200* for about 6 hours. That seems to have done the trick! Since then, I have used it a couple of times, had some rain in between, and haven't noticed any problems.

8. cool85k5

cool85k5 Fire Starter

So far I have not had any problems with mine.The first time I used it I just wiped them down with vegtable oil and cooked,then I rubed them down again after cooking.I just repeat this pattern everytime I grill.