getting rid of it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Council Bluffs Ia.
I'm going to be smoking 9 slabs of spares in the morning. I assume there will be a lot of grease in the bucket when I get done. How do you guys go about disposing of it? I can't see just pouring it down the drain. That's just asking for problems. You can't throw it out in the yard or pour it down the sewer.

So, how do you get rid of it?

Mine collects off my Lang in a gallon ice cream bucket I have reserved the lid to. Once a week it goes in the trash can and is picked up.

I have a jar that I use to pour all my grease and oils from cooking and smoking into. Then when its full I put it in the trash. I always save my empty pickle jars..........Pouring down the drain you are just asking for them to clog up on you.............

I trow it in my burn barrel (trash barrel). Don't put it down the drain, unless you like backed up pipes!
mad.gif

If you can, keep the meat drippings and skim off the grease and fat.

I have an old tractor rim dig into the ground for a campfire pit in the backyard. when I get a plastic pail full I set the pail in the center of a good strong fire that has well established good, hot coals.

Hey, thanks guys. I never thought about putting it in the trash. I just knew that there wasn't anyplace I wanted to pour it out.

I got a pit in the center of my fenced in garden.. I pour it in the pit and throw a few shovels of dirt over it . after a few times I dig another hole
and put ashes over the first hole. Fall I till it up and ready to go again..
Hemi..

Ours goes into the weekly trash, we are not allowed to do any open burning without a permit from the fire dept. once a year in October. Then it is only for yard waste.

I have an old tree stump left over from the hurricane that I'm slowly burning. I pour the grease and oil on it and it burns off when I burn the stump.

I save plastic and glass jars for grease. I prefer the glass jars so you have a secure (screw-on) lid, which removes your worries of the grease spilling out in the dumpster.

Don't put very hot grease intpo a glass jar, as it could cause breakage of the glass due to rapid & un-even heating/expansion.

Speaking of garbage dumpsters, I don't store larger grease stores in the household trash can...too smelly and could get messy...go straight to the dumpster with it.

Eric

I safe it in metal coffee cans then when full heat it back up on a coleman stove and pour over your local bear bait, they need to eat too!
biggrin.gif

There is a restaurant nearby that has a couple of 45 gallon drums out back. They lets me pour my excess fat into their drums. They in turn give it to a local pig farmer who mixes it with his hog feed.

i usually throw mine on my burn pile but lately a buddy has been taking it for his Bio-Diesel

I keep a 5 gallon bucket under my pit. Each time I clean the ash from a cook I put it in the bucket and any grease drips into the bucket of ash under the pit. I don't get a lot of grease, espescially with a drip pan, but whenever the bucket gets full I just dump it behind the shed and it keeps the weeds from growing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky