Gepockelte, AKA Quick cured pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Since yesterday was a cold, snowy-sleety-rainy-windy-terrible-awful-no good-very bad kind of day, I decided we need some comfort food. My wife had picked up some 1" thick pork butt steaks the other day, and pork and sauerkraut sounded pretty comforting.

Recipe:

3lbs pork steaks or chops

3TB Tender Quick

1/2tsp ground ginger

1/4tsp allspice

1/8tsp cinnamon

1 28oz can sauerkraut

1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

2TB sugar

1TB Caraway seed

1tsp fresh ground black pepper

several sprigs fresh thyme

Started off with a little under 3lbs of pork, which I dusted with the  Mortons Tender Quick, allspice, cinnamon and ginger. I let that sit in the fridge for about 3 hours.

Then I put my cast iron pan over high heat and let it sit there for about 7 minutes. I wanted it HOT. I wiped a little oil in the pan, put the pork steaks in and seared them about 2-3 minutes per side.

Then I put my stainless skillet (wasn't sure about cooking sauerkraut in cast iron) over medium high heat and added the can of sauerkraut,the sugar, pepper and about a cup and a half of chicken broth and brought it to a boil. Then added the chops and the Thyme, reduced the heat to low, covered it and let it braise for about an hour and a half.

Served it with mashed potatoes. I gotta say, it was really good. The pork was what I would call about half cured. The outer 1/4" or so remained pink and had the consistency of corned beef. It was tender and moist, and the flavor mix of the earthy cinnamon and allspice mixed well with the tart ginger and sauerkraut. The thyme gave it a nice floral note as well.

I had intended to strain off the juice and reduce it to form a sauce, but by the time the meat was ready we were hungry and I didn't want to mess with it. It really wasn't needed anyway.

Only thing I might add int he future would be to slice some apples and lay the slices on top of the pork while it's braising. I'll also add some caraway seeds to the kraut, but we're out at the moment and I didn't feel like going back to the store.

Only got one photo, sorry.

13538998055_b460d8b522_b.jpg

Last edited:

That looks good man 
32.gif
  Easy to make & I like your addition of the thyme too 
thumb1.gif
  Did you save the juice for future use?
Thanks! I had a bundle of fresh thyme left over from last week that I wanted to use up so I tossed it in. Worked out well. I didn't save the juice, though I definitely should have.
Sounds like a good meal to me!
Thanks, I was really happy with the way it turned out.

I forgot to add that I rinsed the meat after the "cure" and soaked it for about 20 minutes. Salt level was perfect with no additional salt added to the braise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky