gas or elec.?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nightowl

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
I have a ECB that I have used for 15+ years without any mods. Mainly doing a turkey once a year and a few loins and roasts each year. Its time to upgrade and I have been looking at both gas and elec. I smoke in both cold and warm weather so I am concerned that elec. won't get hot enough in cold. I have been leaning towards a GOSM.
Anybody have any thoughts that will help me decide?

Thanks for any help

I really like the GOSM that I have. Seems that the GOSM is the favorite of many here... It works very well and is pretty inexpensive. The only thing that i would have done different is that I would have bought a wider one. I have the 16" model and they make or made a 20" and 24" version.

I had heard that they had gone out of business but I still see their smokers out and about, so I don't know if they are up and running again or if I am seeing old stock.

I'm sure someone can jump in and tell us.

Have fun!

Wood or gas is easy to obtain, electricity can go out and you'll need a backup genereator.

they both have there good and bad points if you plan on it being portable I would go with gas, but if your just going to be at home electricity is always there and you wouldn't have to wonder if you have enough LP to run a 12 hour smoke. I have a refridgerator smoke thats runs on electric and I seem to have no problem in the cold.

I haven't heard any complaints about the MES owners not getting hot enough, maybe they will pipe in and give some info.

The MES is insulated so well that the air temperature doesn't really affect the temperature in the chamber (except for when the door is open of course). I have smoked with my MES in -15 degree temps and had no problem getting 275 degrees. Of course, I couldn't get her started until I warmed up the control unit, but that's a different story.

Lots of gas smokers and some electric smokers are not very well insulated and probably wouldn't fare very well in cold weather. That's definitely not the case for the MES, though the new version with the glass in the door may be a little less efficient.

I agree with rtom. Each has its good points and bad points. It also has a lot to do with your schedule and how you plan on smoking. The MES really takes care of itself. You can almost set it and leave.... come back when it is done. I love my gas smoker. I can get it up to temp in 5 minutes and if I have to open the door it's no big deal because I can crank her up and get her back to temp in minutes. Since you've had an electric you have a pretty good idea how that works. The propane is a little more labor intensive in the aspect you need to watch your temps because they do vary. I won't leave mine on all night and go to bed or to work..... I will the MES. That comes in handy when you have a long smoke and company coming.

icon14.gif
>>>>> GAS.>>>>>
icon14.gif

Well said PigN. I have a start on a UDS and it seems to me it would be same as electric but with better taste. Get it rolling and come back later. Hell what do i know. Oh yea, beer makes it better.

Well the only way I see out of a dilema like this is to have at least one of each. I'm planning on buildin a stick burner this summer. Got the MES, got the Masterbuilt Natural Gas.... got to pick me up a charcoal... been watchin Craigslist. I think it's always better to be overly prepared.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky