gas or charcoal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twistertail

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Central Ohio
I'm going to get my new smoker today and I'm still not sure if I should get a gas or charcoal? I had a gas one before and I liked it because it was so easy to use and I didnt have to build a fire or have charcoal on hand. I had my mind made up I was going to try a charcaol this time but now am rethinking. I like the idea of a charcoal one because its more traditional I guess, and from what I've read you can smoke at lower temps than you can with a gas one. Also have heard you can get more smoke by using charcoal. But I think the ease of a gas one is going to win out. My old gas one I could never keep below about 220 unless i was out in the dead of winter, any tips on keeping a gas smoker a little cooler?

I've heard that you can regulate your flame further down beyond the front panel cut-off by adjusting the valve on the propane bottle to get the flame and temp further down.

I've only heard of this......never had the time to test the theory out.

I chose gas because of every reason you stated. To me there is nothing better than getting the smoker going quickly and spending my quality time getting my products ready to be smoked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky