Garlic Beef Susage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dragonslayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I am looking to make an all beef sausage as I am stricktly kosher (no prork).
I have some synthetic (plastic) casing that I believe is designed to withstand the smoking proccessed but needs to be removed before getting the sausage hot enough to eat. I bought myself a cute little grinder with a filling nozzel.
I am looking to make what my local kosher butcher reffers to as polish sausage, (not sure what real polish sausage is like), which is a garlic hot dog basically. I would like a rougher texture than that but would still want to go with a sharp garlic flavor.
Any recipes methods suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Sounds good except for the 1 cup non-fat-dry milk. Another part of kosher in not mixing dairy and meat. Can this be left out or substituted? Also what is curring salt and where can I get it?

Curing salt is Insta-cure #1, AKA Prague Powder #1. All the large sausage making supplies carry it. You may also be able to use Morton's Tender Quick possibly available in your local supermarket depending on where you live, or available on line, but you would have do some math and use it in place of some or all of the normal salt in your recipe. Try the Sausagemaker or Butcher Packer for the cure salt. You can goggle it and find many suppliers. You also might ask you local butcher. He may be able to provide you with what you need as well. Never hurts to ask.
NavionJim

are any of these available at my local groccery store??? Or possibly a chain specialty store?

There is a whole foods right near my house. That way I don't pay shipping and don't have to wait

The soy protein may be available at WF. Otherwise try GNC, or a home-brew shop to find alternatives.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky