Garlic Beef Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grothe

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2008
Connecticut
I wanted to make a garlic roast beef, but I've got ta clean out the freezer for the next steer. Pulled out an Eye Round Roast.....good enough for me!!
I took 8 cloves of garlic, sliced into slivers, and inserted them around the roast. Then rubbed w/ more garlic,thyme, and black pepper.

Smoked @ 225 til internal of 100

I then added more rub to the drippings, basted and wrapped the roast

Finished in the smoker til internal of 135, then rested it for an hour.

I was starving so I cut off a couple of slices and wrapped it back up for the fridge.

With all the garlic, it still could have used more!!! LOL
Oh, and the taters.....I've never had good luck with em.....after 5 hours in the smoker, they still weren't done.

Oh well, off to the slicer....sammies for lunch this week!!!

Seemed kinda fattie for a eye round but it's not store bought and our beef tends to be on the fattie side anyhow. Da** cows are spoiled!!!

Anyway, I'm definitely gonna try this again....maybe w/ a garlic marinade to start with(looking for more garlic taste)!

Suggestions always appreciated!!!!

Thanks for checking out my thread!
biggrin.gif

Fine looking beef you got there bud ! You say you wanted more of a garlic taste maybe you could inject with a garlic marinade. Meat looks great
icon_exclaim.gif
great q-view
icon_exclaim.gif

Gene,
That round looks so tastey!! I am with ya never can have too much garlic!
I can't help with the tators cuz I am still trying to figure them out myself, figured next time I was gonna try them (ruin a batch) I would par cook 'em first. Welcome back nice to see your Q-Vues again!
Happy Smokes!

nice lookin roast gene!!! so how many cloves ya sliver and set into the roast, seen a recipie once for a 40 clove roast!!! hope ya made good use of that juice in the foil. looks great and i bet tasted great!!!

Garlic = Good. Looks great. Makin me hungry
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Looks great and nice smoke ring! Thanks for the qview.

Sweet! you have a slicer. I want one...

If you need more room for the steer my freezer has room :-)

Thanks everyone!! It tastes great....I just like alot o garlic!

Erain.....good call on the slivers, I used 8 cloves to insert.

Meat-man.....definitely inject text time.

Thanx for the input....writin notes to myself for next time!!
cool.gif

Hey, Gene!

Excellent post. Think I can help you with the taters. After washing the taters run a stainless kabob shaft through them. It will carry heat to the inside as the outside cooks and takes up smoke.

And for more garlic taste, try adding a bit of garlic powder to your rub. Garlic powder is fairly powerful so be careful not to overpower the wonderful flavor of your beef.

Most fresh herbs and seasonings tend to "cook out". So, perhaps a half hour before removing from heat or just as you foil add more fresh garlic.

Just a few suggestions. Play with them!
Cheers!

nice tip, gonna have to try that, i have always had trouble with spuds not completly done also!!! makes sense daaah!!! thanks

Thanx Monty!!! (writing more notes to myself) Gonna try both your suggestions...they really make sense!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Okay Gene, you asked for it. Here is my recipe for "Stinkin' Beef". It's normally done dutch oven style, but I modified it to do in a smoker. Ya say ya like garlic, well hold yer nose!!
biggrin.gif

Dutchâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Chuck Roast with 40 Cloves of Garlic

aka “Stinkinâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] Beefâ€

Ingredients
  • 1 3-4 pound boneless Chuck roast
  • fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • garlic or onion powder to taste
  • 40 cloves of garlic unpeeled
  • 1/4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
Directions
  • place chuck roast in a 12 inch dutch oven
  • sprinkle beef with onion powder and black pepper
  • spread the 40 cloves of garlic on and around the beef
  • sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar
  • place dutch oven in a 250°smoker and smoke for two hours
  • bump smoker temp to 350° and cover beef with heavy duty aluminum foil and braise beef for an additional hour (this will also help to soften the garlic)
  • place the beef on a serving platter reserving the juices
  • press the garlic from the skins
  • discard the skins and add garlic to the reserved beef juices
  • stir well and pour over sliced beef.
  • ENJOY!!

Geez, Dutch!

Just when I thought I had a handle on it.......!

EXCELLENT!

Cheers!

Thanks for the positive feed back folks.

And Ken, thanks for the points!

Cheers!

Da**!! This is why I love this place!!!! Try something, doesn't turn out quite right, and look at the help ya get!!! This is why I post my smokes.....to improve! I truely appreciate all the support and suggestions.
All are noted and I will try this again. Thanx again!!!

I'll try that tonight...How do ya know when they're done?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky