FYI: Smokin with green Wild Cherry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 18, 2008
East Ohio, Uhrichsville, Ohio
Just thought I'd drop this little bit of info that I just tested out of curiosity.
I read a recipe in the local paper from a guy who owns a rib restaraunt. He gave his recipe then he said that he uses green wood.

I made up some cajun burgers actually 3/4 burger and 1/4 sausage, big thick ones, and smoked them. I used green wild cherry that I picked up about a month ago from a very freshly cut tree. It was pieces that were 6-8 inches in diameter and I split them in quarters last sunday.
There was a little heavy smoke when I would throw them in but a few minutes later I had very nice tbs (thin blue smoke) coming out. And another thing is it didn't take much to hold a 300 degree temp. The flavor was very good, nothing harsh and the smoke flavor didn't come close to being the dominating flavor.
Just thought I'd pass this along to ya'all. I do want to add this though, I haven't tried any other green wood so I can't tell you if it will work with other woods.

Never have tried green wood.
Allways heard it would cause bad ju ju.
What made the burgers cajun burgers???

The only wood I have used green was green alder. It was the only wood People used for smoking salmon in the Queen Charlottes. The flavour is unique and perfect for salmon, halibut and trout. I even smoked some crab meat with good success. Never tried green cherry tho I have some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky