1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Fungus or something on wood???

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by matts, Sep 26, 2010.

1. matts

matts Smoking Fanatic

I got a apricot tree in my yard and it needed a major trimming.  I figured great cause I can use it for smoking.  But I noticed it all had this stuff growing on it.  I know its a common growth on most trees and I remember someone here talking about it, but I don't remember if it is safe or not. 

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. porkaholic

porkaholic Smoke Blower

From the picture it looks like lichen on the bark.  I have some apple wood in the same condition and I take a wire brush to it and knock it off.  Not sure you want that smoking into your meat products.

3. matts

matts Smoking Fanatic

Does anyone know what this is?  Do I need to remove it or can it be smoked?

4. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I think porkaholic is correct in his assessment of lichen. I'd heard of lichen but never knew exactly what it was but thanks to this post that intrigued my curiosity now I do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen

At a minimum I would scrape it off with a wire brush as porkaholic suggests but personally I would probably just use some lichen free wood.

5. matts

matts Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for the link.  I have been reading all I can on lichens and found that it is used in a lot of commercial products.  But that doesn't mean anything at this point.  I won't be able to use this wood till next year anyway.  I think I will brush it off or give the wood a quick preburn.  Finding good fruit wood is hard enough, I can't waste this stuff.