Full Spare Ribs & Chicken Halves

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Fired up the Kat reverse flow yesterday for some chicken and ribs.

I usually do my spare's St Louis style, but decided to go with full spares this time. Lately, I've realized that I prefer to keep things simple in regards to rubs, and mainly go with SPG on pretty much everything so the natural flavor of the meat and smoke come through more. After 3 hours in the smoke at 275 they got foil wrapped for just about 30 minutes, then sauced with a very thin layer of my own sauce and back on for 10 minutes to let the sauce set. Once the sauce was set I glazed with my pineapple chipotle finishing glaze and back on for another ten minutes.

Chicken halves were spritzed with just a little bit of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray as a binder and to help get the golden brown skin color, then hit top and bottom with the SPG. They also went on at 275 until the breast hit 150, then I cranked the heat up a little bit to 325 to crisp the skin until they hit 165. I have been struggling for a while with my chicken skin color... I was getting nothing but ugly greyish and unappetizing looking skin. I believe I have finally solved that problem. It was too big of a fire with too much air flow running through the pit. Solved by starting with a bigger coal base, and once the fire is running clean I closed the stack about half way and the door damper about 3/4 of the way. That seemed to do the trick.

Everything came out nice and juicy and very tender. I was pretty happy with how everything turned out, but of course pictures tell the story better so I'll let others be the judge.

Spare Ribs 3.jpg
Spare Ribs 1.jpg
Spare Ribs 2.jpg
Chicken 1.jpg
Chicken 2.jpg

Looks good to me!
I'll have to try that "I can't believe it's not butter" trick and I'm interested in that Pineapple Chipotle glaze...

The Pineapple Chipotle Glaze is simple... just 4 ingredients. White sugar, pineapple juice, Chipotle powder for heat, and a little bit of pectin to thicken it. Super simple but has a great flavor and puts a nice shine on the ribs.

Reactions: SmokyMose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky