Full Smoker with Q-view, very long and pic heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Here is Sunday's smoke, sorry about the formatting, I pulled this stuff from my website.

This was one of my most pleasurable smokes due to the fact that I installed the new thermometers.

31bad61f_2971005880041211880S425x425Q85.jpg

This is from the cook of 10/24/2010.

Smoked Onions and Peppers for later recipes, Taco Flavored ABT's, two "Chicken Cordon Bleu Fatties", two "Chicken Spinoccoli Fatties", two "Boston Butts", "Hot Dogs", "Macaroni and Cheese", Banana Boats (not shown) and last but not least, "Smoked Pineapple Bacon Chutney".

[h3] Smoked Pineapple Bacon Chutney [/h3]

This chutney is sweet and tart, great for pork ham and chicken, I highly recommend using this sauce to compliment the Chicken Cordon Blue Fatties, or when doing chicken appetizers.

Ingredients

• 1 20 oz.Can Crushed Pineapples
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 4 oz jar maraschino cherries with sauce crushed (optional)
  • 1/4 cup captain Morgan spiced rum
  • 1/4 cup apple cider
  • 1/4 cup of Honey
  • 1/2 chipotle chilies (smoked jalapenos), chopped
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup green peppers
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • pinch of coarse Grind black pepper
  • 4 slices of bacon chopped fine and cooked

Preparation
  • In a non reactive sauce pan simmer pineapple, apple cider vinegar apple cider, honey, sugar, mustard powder and cherries, reduce heat.
  • In a separate pan cook bacon, remove from pan and reserve bacon grease, saute onion, green pepper and jalapeno using some of the bacon grease, add garlic, onion powder, sea salt, deglaze pan with rum, add to sauce pan.
  • Reduce slightly and add pepper to taste if needed.
  • Transfer sauce pan to smoker for several hours reduce by half.

• Tip, when onions are just about done add a tablespoon of Captain Morgan and caramelize about a minute.
  • Tip, use a food processor for a smoother sauce.
  • Tip, Remove the vein and seeds from the chipotle for a milder taste.
  • Tip, Stir sauce when film forms on top this will helps with adding smoke flavor to the sauce.
I really enjoy making sauces to compliment the meal, sometimes a good sauce is needed to bring the flavors together such as the case was with the Chicken Cordon Bleu Fattie.
I used a fresh Jalapeno on this recipe but recommend a smoked jalapeno.

Taco ABT's
  • Taco Seasoning
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • Cream Cheese
  • Jalapenos, halved
  • [color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Bacon[/color]

[color= rgb(102, 0, 0)]Pork Butts 10/24/10[/color]

Nothing special here,

• Trimmed fat and false cap for more bark, rubbed buts 36 hours before the cook with my Rub, no mustard.
  • Spritzed with equal parts Captain, Apple Cider Vinegar and apple cider after internal temp was above 140°.
  • Smoked at 240° - 250°for about 8 hours with cherry wood, until an internal temp of 205° took about 1 hour 20 minutes per /LB.
  • Foiled toweled and placed into cooler for half an hour, would have kept it in longer but wanted one for dinner.
One was done about 10 minutes sooner than the other.  The other one rested about 2 hours, both were fine

[h3] Chicken Cordon Bleu Fattie [/h3]

This is a spin on the traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu

Ingredients

• 14 pieces of bacon
  • 4 slices of thick cut deli ham
  • 8 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
  • 4 slices provolone cheese or Swiss
  • 2  boneless chicken breast slit in half

Preparation

1. Fillet 2 breast and pound till thin with the flat side of a mallet.
  2. Layout a bacon weave
  3. Place 2 halves of one breast on the bacon and brush with Dijon mustard, add  ham on top followed by  provolone, repeat with another layer.
  4. Roll bacon up and place seam side down.
  5. Smoke for 2.5 - 3 hours, cool and slice in ½" slices.
*NOTE: Chicken breasts and bacon varies in shape and sizes, this recipe is an approximate, just do your best to be able to roll up the fattie without leaving a gap.

*NOTE: Traditionally, Chicken Cordon Bleu is made with Swiss Cheese.

*Tip, this can be smoked then wrapped in a pizza dough and baked just like the Philly Cheesesteak Fattie, sort of like a "Hot Pocket", yes I am working on a cordon bleu hot pocket recipe.
*Tip, these can be made in advance, wrapped in foil and smoked later.

This was a fairly decent recipe, however not one of my favorite Fatties. The bacon overpowered the other ingredients but had a great texture.
The saving grace for this Fattie was my Smoked Pineapple Bacon Chutney.

I used thick bacon because there was 6 lbs of it in the refrigerator, I would suggest using thin bacon, if thick is all you got, layout the pieces and push firmly with your fingertips in the center working outwards this swill thin it out and give you some more length, note picture #4, the top five pieces are stretched and the lowest piece is normal size.

My first Chicken Cordon Bleu Fattie was so thick, I had to trim off some of the inside ingredients, just to get a good seam, note picture #16 and #17. In hindsight I should have tried rolling the bacon weave out like dough.
My second Cordon Bleu Fattie I only used one half breast, 3 pieces of ham and 2 of provolone, note pictures #18 #19 and #20

If you make this I would strongly suggest a sauce or something to top it with.

10/24/10

Tried recipe #3 again but added an extra cup of noodles, not as creamy but still good, I will stick with 2 cups noodles but for those that prefer the not so creamy, try the 3 cups. No Ritz crackers this time, I like it better without the crackers, the browned cheese gives enough of a crust.

I saved the best for last, this was awesome.
[h3] Chicken Spinoccoli Fattie [/h3]

I got this idea from my wife's favorite dish at Uno's, and figured this would be a great Fattie

This is another attempt at wowing her with the smoker

This one is a winner!

Ingredients

• 16 pieces of bacon
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1  boneless chicken breast slit in half
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 4 cups fresh spinach
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Locatelil cheese.

Preparation

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon of oil, add onion and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes or until garlic is golden and onions are translucent.
  2. Add tomatoes, broccoli, salt, pepper and oregano; stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to simmer for about 10 minutes, set aside to cool. Divide in half.
  3. Fillet chicken breast and pound with the flat side of a mallet.
  4. Layout a bacon weave
  5. Place chicken breast on the bacon weave and spoon 1/2 of the spinoccoli mix on top of the fillet, add some fresh basil and sprinkle some Locatelli then feta, top with mozzarella cheese.
  6. Roll bacon weave up and place seam side down.
  7. Smoke for 2.5 - 3 hours, cool and slice in ½" slices serve on linguini noodles and top with a pesto sauce.
* Note: Chicken and bacon vary in sizes, just make sure to leave a little room so you can overlap slightly.

This one is a winner, my only suggestion with making this is to serve with a good pesto sauce on top of some linguini.

Friday If I have time I will be trying this Spinoccoli recipe on Pizza.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

icon_cool.gif

Yes if this thread got any longer it would come in hard back. Just Kiddin your smoke looks like you were cooking for the whole block. Now it does looks very good and the fatties are out of this world. Now didn't you know abut the throwdown this month is the "Fattie". Your program is very nice for a processive photos. I only wish I could have been there to enjoy all this food.

SQWIB - Well done! You've got me wondering how you keep the cheese in the Cordon Bleu fatty. I find that if there's even the slightest path to the outside of a fatty, the cheese will find it and drip out while it's cooking. This is hard enough to get right with sausage or ground beef. With your Cordon Bleu fatty, the chicken can't be sealed, especially at the ends. How do you do it? Enquiring minds want, no, need, to know!

Very nice post -- a lot of food of many types.

My only question is: How many people are you feeding with all of that good looking stuff?

Wow!  If anyone ever gives me a hard time again about smoking/grilling too much stuff I'm pointing them to this post to defend myself!  :-)

Hey Squib

Great post - how many followers do you have on your site? You must have been cooking for all of them with this much food

Very Nice, I love to see a full smoker.  You planned out just enough to cover every square inch.  Awesome detail on the QView. 

icon_cool.gif

Yes if this thread got any longer it would come in hard back. Just Kiddin your smoke looks like you were cooking for the whole block. Now it does looks very good and the fatties are out of this world. Now didn't you know abut the throwdown this month is the "Fattie". Your program is very nice for a processive photos. I only wish I could have been there to enjoy all this food.
I agree, I got tired reading it myself.

Once again, another fine presentation with excellent step by step photos.  Especially like the Cordon Bleu Fatties.  Got it on the list for sure.  Thanks.
Believe it or not the Cordon Bleu's were much better reheated the next day

SQWIB - Well done! You've got me wondering how you keep the cheese in the Cordon Bleu fatty. I find that if there's even the slightest path to the outside of a fatty, the cheese will find it and drip out while it's cooking. This is hard enough to get right with sausage or ground beef. With your Cordon Bleu fatty, the chicken can't be sealed, especially at the ends. How do you do it? Enquiring minds want, no, need, to know!
You do loose a good amount of cheese, but if you pound out the chicken its not smooth and the cheese pools in the low spots. You can use spinach to hold the cheese intact but then its not Chicken Cordon Bleu. For the Spinoccoli everything soaks up in the ingredients and you don't loose as much, maybe a little Mozzarella but not much Feta or Locatelli.

I guess another method would be making the chicken Cordon Bleu without cheese and when its finished split down the middle and add cheese and warm in the smoker, sort of like splitting the top of a loaf of bread and adding butter.
Very nice post -- a lot of food of many types.

My only question is: How many people are you feeding with all of that good looking stuff?
12 people and we went through less than half, I always make extra and vacuum seal. When I get a pic I'll post it...Fatties vacuum seal nice.

wow how many were you smoking for.  All looked great
12, I told everyone it was a BYOL "Bring Your Own Lipitor"

Wow!

Another unbelievable SQWIB post!

Thanks for all the views,

Bear
Thanks Bear

Wow!  If anyone ever gives me a hard time again about smoking/grilling too much stuff I'm pointing them to this post to defend myself!  :-)
Only a non smoker would give you a hard time, but after they had some of your "Q" I am sure they would be a convert.

Wow! That is some good looking food right there.

Great pics too!

Thanks.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Thanks Marlin009

Hey Squib

Great post - how many followers do you have on your site? You must have been cooking for all of them with this much food
I think the only follower is Bear?

Lots of great looking food...
Thankyou

Wow, what a thread. Great detail and pics, you were a busy smoker. Everything looks excellent
Thanks TD

Very Nice, I love to see a full smoker.  You planned out just enough to cover every square inch.  Awesome detail on the QView. 
I have been trying to fill it every smoke, because of time and cost. I recently started filling up the space with Onions,  peppers and such to save for later recipes.

AWESOME!   That chutney looks good enough to put on practically anything!  Thanks so much for sharing your recipes and tips. I really appreciate the great step by step photos. You added several new things to my gotta do list. I'll be checking out your website for more details (I'm always trying to get my mac-n-cheese better).

SQWIB,

This is an absolutely amazing post. Great job documenting everything, showing the steps and including your recipe.

This should be the SMF promotion post.

Excellent job once again. I really enjoyed it.

not sure how i missed this.........great job on the smoke and post!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky