Full Packer Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
About a week or so ago I tried my hand at burnt ends for the first time. Needless to say they were one of the greatest ever. The only problem is that the point of the brisket was only used and with friends and family those burnt ends didn't last very long and I began to wonder if you could smoke a full packer brisket into burnt ends.
Of course the flat would be what worried me considering the difference in fat between the two.

Well to appease my curiosity I figured I would give it a go.
Picked up a 12 pound brisket and trimmed it up leaving about 1/8" fat on top.
I injected with some local raspberry honey and chipotle powder and a little water to keep things flowing.

After I was done injected the beast was swelling and heavy, didn't get squirted once while I was injecting so I was happy.

Slathered with some chipotle mustard and coated in chipotle rub, wrapped and set in the fridge for the night.

Next morning I fired up the good 'ol sNp and tossed it on over oak and pecan, spritzed with raspberry snapple every hour after the first two hours.
Progressive pics...

(also some eggs for smoked deviled eggs and veal pastrami, but that's another thread)

Once it hit 170 I wrapped in foil and brought to 190, wrapped in a towel and into a cooler for one hour, lots of juices after the rest, half of it was fat I skimmed off.

Separated point from flat, trimmed the fat and cubed it all, tossed with a bit more chipotle rub, some of its own juices and BBQ sauce.

Went to a somewhat local orchard that sells wood to stock up on some oak and picked up a bottle of apple butter BBQ sauce that they make. Used Curley's on the main batch and some of the apple butter sauce in the smaller pan.

Went back in for 3 hours.

Some smoked goodness...

My verdict on doing burnt ends from the flat.
Good but not as good as from the point.
Right after they came off they seemed a bit on the dry side but after setting in the pan with its own juices and sauce overnight it was very moist and delicious.
Reheats great. The point into burnt ends, well that's just the bees knees, so delicious that I urge anyone who hasn't tried burnt ends to give them a shot. The flat, still good, better reheated and worth a try but I think I will mostly keep slicing the flat instead and reserve the point for the burnt ends.

Nice write up...and great qview...they all look good from here.

Great q view and great experiment!
points.gif

Love me some burnt ends and slaw on a sammie.

Just for future use, If you wrap the meat in saran wrap b4 injecting it will keep you from getting squirted and keep all the minjection in and on the meat.

They Look Awesome Fire...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

What you could do is every time you want to smoke a brisket separate the point and freeze it until you get enough to do a bunch of points at one time for the burnt ends...

I haven't done many briskets and I haven't ever done burnt ends but you make them look so good that I will make sure that we have a point so we can make some ends and see if we like them as much as veryone here.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks zeeker, and everyone.

mballi, you've gotta give burnt ends a try, if I had to choose a last meal I think it would have to be a heaping pile of burnt ends on some white bread, ah to hell with the bread, just give me a plate of burnt ends
biggrin.gif

FiU, that was outstanding post! Congratulations on thinking outside the envelope, performing a test that benefitted all of mankind, taking such high quality pictures (what kind of camera?) and making it all wonderful-tastiness!

Major well earned points to you
points.gif

Beautiful burnt ends...Your right on the Flat, it just doesnt have enough fat after the first smoke to really give you the flavor that a point will give.

However...you did a marvelous job! Great right up and qview!

Great job fire it up. Man I tell ya, ever since I did those burnt ends for the first time last week, I have wanted more. Anyone that has not tried making them is surely missing out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky