Frozen Burrito

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddave

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 3, 2008
Far Northern California
It was bound to happen sooner or later . . . although that was not my intent when I lit the smoker yesterday. I just wanted to get rid of my last bag of Cowboy (since my order of WGC Weekend Warrior had arrived the day before), season and experiment with the tuning plates a bit, really load up the charcoal basket to see how high I could get the temp, and experiment with preburning chunks and TBS production.

After an hour or so of experimentation, I had gotten the temp slightly over 300, temps were fairly even from side to side after playing with plate placement, TBS was gently wafting from the stack and I had finished my beer. I was thinking that to get a true representation of the temp gradient, there should be something to abosrb heat as the meat would do during a normal smoke. I thought I could put a large water pan on the middle grate or . . . toss on a frozen burrito -- an El Monterey Shredded Steak and Chesse burrito to be exact. The burrito wouldn't be much of a heat sink but at least I would have a snack at the end.

The smoker had settled in at about 275, the frozen burrito directions said 30 to 45 miniutes at 300 so I tossed it on for an hour with some hickory smoke. When I pulled it off, I was not expecting much, but man, it was pretty good. The smoke flavor was confined to the outer tortilla and it smelled and tasted delicious!! I split it with my 9 year old son who loved it!

I'm not saying I would always do them this way, but if I have the time and inclination, they turn out pretty darn good.

Dave

Can't knock a guy for finding everyday uses for the smoker! Let me know how spanish rice comes out!

Thanks for sharing this success story with the burrito. I have wondered how something frozen would do.

Way to go Dave..
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I enjoy trying new things in the smoker....sometimes you have a winner and sometimes you don't, but you'll never know if ya don't try. lol

Sounds like you have a winner.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

(I do not recommend twinkies)

LOL, if I could figure out a way to do that, my wife sure would let me smoke more often. She loves spanish rice.

Dave

You gotta be pretty creative to come up with a first around here. I woulda never a thought of smoke any kind of burrito let alone a frozen one.

As far as spanish rice or the likes(mac cheese etc) put in a metal collinder in a shallow pan to catch any liquid-smoke & stir as needed.-re-distribute the liquid.Where theres a will theres a way! and the tortilla acted like fat does-dosn't let the smoke penetrate.

Yep, those are the ones. Just took one out of the freezer, unwrapped it and onto the smoker it went.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky