From "A" To "I"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
From Fat To Fit! Life reimagined: No salt, no sugar, little fat, ultra lean meats, fish and skinless chicken, whole wheat everything, only water, no sodas or juices, no smoking, no alcohol, 16 prescription meds, 4 OTC meds, no snacks, no 'fast foods' - can you do it? I have to, daily! And, no cheating, your life depends on it! Stroke and heart attack survivor!

8 strokes and 2 major heart attacks! But, I AM A SURVIVOR! How About YOU???

Yes you are! I am very thankful for good health my entire life. Over the last couple of years, I have lost over 30 pounds. From 230 to 195. 6'1" tall and 63 years young. I am NOT a diet sort of guy, I woke up one morning and promised myself I was going to get some weigh off. How could I accomplish this task I thought? Well, first off, I stopped eating a HUGE bowl of Blue Bell ice cream every night. second, I stopped drinking soft drinks and started drinking unsweetened tea or water. No sugar in my morning coffee and started eating for 1 person instead of 3. I love to eat but I needed to change the portions. EXAMPLE: Instead of eating a whole rack of ribs in one sitting, I eat 1/2 of a rack. I use to take two large baking potatoes, slice 1 tip off each, put them in tin foil and I then had one HUGE baked potato, Back off the huge portions of mac and cheese. Hey don't get me wrong, I still eat good but watch my portions. I have never been a big fried foods person accept for fried catfish. The weight fell off slowly and without one of those stupid diets that I just can't do, I still pig out on Blue Bell ice cream now and again but only twice a month. Just wanted to share the way I got the weight off. Give it a try for 1 month. You will see a difference.
HAWG

Reactions: JC in GB
Pops, my hat goes off to you!
You are fighting this everyday & have a winning attitude!
God bless you in your quest for a healthy lifestyle.
Al

I stopped drinking somewhere between 5 and 6 years ago, not for any particular reason I just stopped one day and then 6ish months down the road I realized I hadn't had a drink. So I just kept on not having a drink.

In February of 2018 I decided after years upon years of being severely overweight to give the Keto diet a shot. It was never that I didn't eat healthy things, I've always liked veggies and I've never had much of a sweet tooth. My biggest downfall was always my potion sizes, and I would always eat until I was full...and then some more lol. But I made the choice and gave up the sweets, the breads, pastas, potatoes, and so on. Pretty much all the good stuff.

I wasn't sure how well it was going to work, I mean I'd read that the results could be amazing, but I've tried various weight loss stuff since I was in high school. Well I said "I tried" but it was more my mother forced crap onto me. Weight loss drinks, patches, the Atkins diet, testosterone shots. The testosterone shots were amazing, didn't so much help with my weight loss but the boost of power was great, the short fuse...not so much.

Keto was the first time that I decided to do something about my weight without anyone pushing or saying I should. I didn't tell anyone that I was starting. I just did. I didn't even do an initial weigh in, so I'm not entirely sure what my starting weight was; so I use the last number I seen which was from 3ish months prior to starting.

And it worked. I didn't weigh in for the first three weeks of starting, and when I finally did I was amazed. I've been going good for 22 months, and my weight loss which has slowed within the last couple months but is slowing ticking away. Everyone is always asking how much I've lost, complimenting me, and telling me if I lose much more that I'm going to disappear. It's honestly a little uncomfortable and awkward at times how much I'm being complimented. I just thank them, and let them know that I still haven't told anyone how much I've lost. I figured out the reason this is working for me is that I made it about me and what I thought about it, and I didn't need the validation or congratulations of anyone else.

Everyone asks what the key is, and I just tell them simply willpower. And to be frank, I'm honestly surprised that I've had this much willpower.

I've been very intrigued by the Keto diet, but I was a vegetarian for over 25 years & going to a high fat diet with just a few carbs seems unhealthy to me. But it sure seems to work for everyone who tries it. I guess I'll have to do some more research. My problem is drinking! I live in a very active retirement community & happy hour is a big part of the social scene. If I quit drinking( by the way I didn't drink when I was a vegetarian either). Then I think the weight would just melt off, cause I exercise about 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week. But when I moved here that all went out the window! Except for the exercise, I never miss a day!! But I'm sitting here sipping on a beer as we speak!!
Al

I've been very intrigued by the Keto diet, but I was a vegetarian for over 25 years & going to a high fat diet with just a few carbs seems unhealthy to me. But it sure seems to work for everyone who tries it. I guess I'll have to do some more research. My problem is drinking! I live in a very active retirement community & happy hour is a big part of the social scene. If I quit drinking( by the way I didn't drink when I was a vegetarian either). Then I think the weight would just melt off, cause I exercise about 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week. But when I moved here that all went out the window! Except for the exercise, I never miss a day!! But I'm sitting here sipping on a beer as we speak!!
Al
You can drink on Keto if you fit it in your calories or have the occasional splurge. Just have to select carb free liquors and mixers.

Yea you can definitely drink, but just like with what you're eating you have to be a little more choosy with what you're drinking and how often. I personally would have had a harder time with Keto if I hadn't already quit drinking, because I always enjoyed a more sweet style of alcoholic beverage.

WhatIS a keto diet?

It's a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. The intention is to put your body into a state called ketosis, which instead of burning glucose for energy it burns fat.

This is a good breakdown of the basics of the diet itself. That website is where I landed when I first decided to give it a try.

I've been doing Keto for the last two and a half years due to Type 2 diabetes. Didn't realize it was keto until a Dr. friend of mine told me that's what I've been doing. Down somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70 pounds. stalled out here the last year, but dang it's nice to not get winded tying my shoes! Basically just low to no carbs or sugar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky