Frogmats - Threat or menace?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Monroe Twp, NJ
In the thread on Cod there seemed to be some interest in this product (by me, at least), so I figured it might deserve a thread of its own. There were questions regarding price, how easily do they clean and, I think, usability in general. They seem to be a non-stick mat that is coarse enough to allow all the smoke through, yet fine enough to keep a flaky fish intact. They don't tolerate direct heat.

7107010a_unwrapped_end_view_fattie_in_frogmat.jpg

500748af_end_view_fattie_in_frogmat.jpg

7ae6b3f2_smoke_vault_from_deejay_s_smoke_pit.jpg

9c0187ae_unwrapped_finished_pork_butt_in_frogmat.jpg

The above pics are from the Frogmat web site, but I've noticed them in pics on this forum and others, yet haven't read any comments. Are there any Frogmat users out there who would care to comment?

Thanks in advance...

Good idea Pokey,

I read a lot of those comments on "pelletheads", but I'd trust my SMF brothers' reports a lot more.

I didn't like reading about having to soak & brush them to clean. I can do that with the racks that came with my MES 30!

Bear

Good idea Pokey,

I read a lot of those comments on "pelletheads", but I'd trust my SMF brothers' reports a lot more.

I didn't like reading about having to soak & brush them to clean. I can do that with the racks that came with my MES 30!

Bear
Agreed about the clean-up, although that didn't seem to be the universal opinion. But even if they require a little work to clean, I think they might have a place in the toolkit as they could hold things that otherwise might fall through the cracks (or racks). Some folks seem to just put them on top of the rack and use them as a universal cook surface.

I've never heard of them. I can see how they would come in handy with fish and even cold smoking cheeses.

Agreed about the clean-up, although that didn't seem to be the universal opinion. But even if they require a little work to clean, I think they might have a place in the toolkit as they could hold things that otherwise might fall through the cracks (or racks). Some folks seem to just put them on top of the rack and use them as a universal cook surface.
Exactly,

That's why I'd like to hear from my SMF brothers (and sisters), if they ever tried them.

Some of the guys on "Pelletheads" use them all of the time. If they're a PITA to keep clean, I think if I got some, I'd only use them where needed.

I know for some reason the grill/shelves that came with "MY" MES 30 is a grid (about 3/8" or 1/2" square), instead of the ones my son got with his MES that only have wire going in one direction. Mine are much harder to clean than his are because they are more like the "frog-mats".

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky