Frog in the lilypad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, indaswamp indaswamp got me reminiscing about a similar breakfast to his frog in the hole that my father used to make on a few Sunday mornings during the year. It really didn't have a name growing up - so I've decided to call it Frog in the lilypad.

Since I was headed out to the local grocer yesterday afternoon. I figured why not make one for breakfast on Saturday. First problem I ran into was getting a 20 year old to understand what a half inch is. It took the poor guy three tries and he still didn't get it quite right.

Anyway here it is: I used a small mason jar to punch out the hole. Then I cooked it on one side, flipped it and added the egg.
DSC01894.JPG

Next is the plated shot:
Once the egg starts to turn white add some Cabot shredded cheddar(I'm pretty sure dad used American). Then to top it off. A few slices of water, honey dew, and cantaloupe. Along with an cinnamon english muffin.
DSC01896.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek and thanks to Inda for jarring my memory.

Chris

Looks good , and jogs some memories here too . Mom used to do it with spam sliced the " big way " and American cheese . I believe we're the same model year .
That's a good meal . Thanks for posting .

Looks Great, Chris!!
Nice Job! Like.
You might want to mention that is Pork Roll, for those who never saw it.

Bear

Thanks Rich and for the like. Proud baby boomer here with a born on date of 1960. Dad didn't make these with Spam(although that sounds great), but he did once in a while use that boiled deli ham. At least I think it was boiled. If I remember it was called Polish ham.

Chris

Looks Great, Chris!!
Nice Job! Like.
You might want to mention that is Pork Roll, for those who never saw it.

Bear

Appreciate the compliment and like John, I'm not sure I call it pork roll as this was made with beef bologna.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Very nice Chris, always nice to remember a meal from our childhood! I’d have no problem sitting down to that plate! Well done!

Looks good Chris, growing up I had my share of fried bologna but never with egg and cheese, will definitely be making me some of that though.

OMG!
I make what’s called an Egyptian one eye.
It’s the same idea, but the egg is in a hole in a piece of toast.
I have never seen this before, but I can assure you I will be making it soon!
Very nicely done!
Al

Yes sir . Dad got home from Korea in '55 . I was born 1960 . Two older sisters .
Ate a lot of bologna and spam .

My dad also served in Korea and I had two older sisters. However one passed away when she was 3 months old.

Chris

Holy Shoot!!
From here, it looks exactly like Pork Roll.
I've been wrong before!

Bear

It's actually Old Neighborhood Beef bologna. I wanted Mckenzies a local sausage and smoke house, but they were out.

Very nice Chris, always nice to remember a meal from our childhood! I’d have no problem sitting down to that plate! Well done!

Thank you very much Justin and for the like. I also remember our first microwave. The thing was huge and mom tried making a whole chicken in it following some recipe that came with it. That darn thing drew so much power it dimmed our lights - not to mention the chicken tasted awful.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Looks good Chris, growing up I had my share of fried bologna but never with egg and cheese, will definitely be making me some of that though.

Thank you Jim and for the like. We had it this way for Sunday breakfast a couple times a year, but mostly like you we just fried up the thin cuts for bologna boob sammies.

OMG!
I make what’s called an Egyptian one eye.
It’s the same idea, but the egg is in a hole in a piece of toast.
I have never seen this before, but I can assure you I will be making it soon!
Very nicely done!
Al

Appreciate that Al and for the like. I think there are many different variations of this. All sound really good. Next I'm gonna try it with toast.

Chris

Lots of fried Balogna in my lifetime (circa 1953), but never with an egg. Gotta try it!
I'd suggest your measurement handicapped 20yr old think of a fingernail as roughly a half inch but a fingertip might be cut off....

These Sammies have caught my eye Chris. Bologna was a rare appearance at our house growing up. We had olive loaf or sometimes cotto salami or pressed ham. It was with the cotto salami I remember that was best this way. Almost burnt to a crisp! Very pepperoni like.

Looks tasty Chris!! I’d gobble that up for sure.

Thanks Jeff and for the like. Simple, tasty and a blast from the past. All's good.

YEAP! Looks good! I’m gonna have to try that!

Thank you kindly Justin. I don't thing you'll be disappointed. Also thanks for the like.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky